Cast Iron vs Stamped Steel TS Wings

Is the a real justification on the $150 price difference in cast wings over stamped wings on the JET 10" contractors saw?
Been waiting 2 weeks and the cast iron setup has yet to ship, wheras the stamped steel can ship tomorrow
Thanks for anyones input
It makes the contractor saw a lot heavier which is bad if you need to move it around and good for damping vibration. Also, the stamped wings bend fairly easily.
Preston

IMHO it is worth the $150 to not have to mount the stamped steel extensions. Again, IIRC these have corner braces that you have to bolt up and use to insure that the stamped extensions are flat. Basically you have to flatten the stamped steel extensions with the brackets and keep it all flat while tightening the bolts with this all hanging loosely from the table top. The cast irons ones on the other hand simply bolt up with an occasional piece of masking tape for shim stock. Cast iron will dampen vibrations more than the stamped steel extensions but will make the saw be heavier if you have to move the saw.

Stamped wings work just fine, you will never know the difference, save your money and buy another tool.
Bigmike responds:

Yeah, you will notice the difference, but probably only after you've had the tool for a time, gotten some experience, and had a chance to use both kinds of extension. The extra mass of the cast iron helps dampen vibration enough so that a properly tuned saw is even better for them---if sheetmetal were better, you'd find sheetmetal on all table saws, because it is considerably cheaper to manufacture.
Properly ground cast iron extensions are also a lot easier to set up and level with the main table than are sheetmetal tables. (Poorly milled cast iron extensions are close to impossible to get right, though.)
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

I had stamped wings on my Jet CS, it was one of my reasons for selling it after 7 years of use. The stamped wings add much needed weight to a contractors saw that won't travel, provide more flat space for assembly, and are usually easier to align with the main table.
If I was moving the thing on a regular basis, I'd probably stay with stamped wings.
Barry
I've got stamped, work semi-regularly at school with cast. Not a bit of difference in either, once adjusted, as the proliferation of router table and MDF tables indicates. It's just support. Cast does make a better benchtop, though.
Those who talk of "dampening vibration" have other issues, in my opinion. I like the link belt to smooth the effects of the hanging motor and belt set, but otherwise, a lump of iron placed on the stand should give you all if not more of the benefits of "dampening" that cast iron wings do.

Hmmmm .... 50 for / 50 against
Went to the local (45 miles) Woodcraft and what do you know, they had a cast iron setup, uhhhh... set up in the showroom, (only one in the store), walked out with it @ $ 699 and will uhhh... get it set up tonite.
Thanks to all for giving their opinions and reasonings.
Almost walked out with a "super saw" boxed @ $949 but now I can buy something else w/ the money!
How come the money you weren't planning on spending all of a sudden becomes "extra" to spend on somethng else?
(do I hear mortiser?) anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Thanks again
Wood Magazine just rated the Shop Fox mortiser the "best buy" at $230.
You still have $20 left.
Joe

RE: Subject
The mass of the ass always wins.