cast iron kettle

Page 1 of 2
Does any one know how to season a cast-iron "tea kettle"? I use one on my wood stove to help provide moisture to the air in the winter. It has a strong tendency to rust in side the kettle. While this doesn't seem to harm the humidity raising qualities of the water it does give an unpleasant appearance and I would like to find a way to stop the rust.

Typically you season cast-iron with shortening, or just by cooking fatty foods in it a lot. But if you're just going to be boiling water over and over I think you're eventually going to get rust no matter what. You want something that's not just plain old cast iron - something porcelain, stainless steel or aluminum. Check llbean.com for "stovetop steamer". They're specifically made for the task at hand.
JP
http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp Good luck. Art

Or a pot from the dollar store.
Jay Pique wrote:

A cast iron tea kettle may seem like a good idea, but it's 2007 and stainless steel cookware has been around for the better part of a century. I'd say that if the rust is an issue it's time to retire it to decorative use or melting lead to make bullets or something else to which its properties are better suited.
For the purpose at hand I suspect that aluminum would be fine as well--a wood stove shouldn't get hot enough to melt it.

--John

Unless it boils dry.
/Par
--
Par snipped-for-privacy@hunter-gatherer.org
My prejudices are almost entirely directed against Stupid People,

Look up electro-plating. Perhaps that's what you need to do to the inside. Since you like the look, try protecting the outside with wax. When you put it on the stove again, the wax will evaporate off.
Just an idea.
Puckdropper

Awkward at the best of times, this is damn near impossible on cast-iron, if you expect it to be rustproof afterwards, The problem is porosity forming around the free carbon grains.
I'd suggest cheap stainless instead, because it's 2007 and every kitchen has a spare pot or pan in it.
If you do use cast iron, just let the water saturate with iron and then no more will rust. Add a touch of Fernox (central heating water treatment) or else just let some rust and dissolve.

If thats what your thinking http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm
They sell little home plating kits.
"Curran Copeland" wrote:

I do.

Total misapplication of a cast iron vessel.

Quit misapplying the product.
Go buy a copper bottom, stainless steel tea kettle, then throw in a few marbles, fill with water and place on stove.
Marbles will keep deposits from forming in bottom of kettle.
Lew
OK then what is a cast iron one gallon "tea kettle" supposed to be used for if not to heat water? I always thought that they were for heating water on a stove or fire.

"Curran Copeland" wrote:

I don't have a clue, all my C/I stuff is strictly for cooking.
If you want to try to use it as a vaporizer, put some marbles in the pot and keep it filled with water.
The air is causing the rust.
Lew
BTW, has this pot ever been seasoned, especially before using the first time?.
Lew
Curran Copeland wrote:

Humidifier to keep you from zapping yourself on doorknobs and the cat on those dry cold winter days.

Some days, you just have to pick the cat up to avoid zapping it. Especially a long haired calico we have... ;-)
Puckdropper

I use dutch ovens a lot and the way I season them is to fully coat all surfaces with cooking oil then put it in the oven at about 500 degrees until the oil has been "burned" into a patina on the metal. It is as good as teflon. If you search dutch oven seasoning on the web, you can find more detailed directions.
Roger

I don't know if this will work in the long run but top the water with some oil. As the water evaporates, the oil should coat the sides of the pot, leaving a barrier with might prevent rust. You might also try some rust preventative paint type spray. They sell black paint for grills which should hold up to the heat, not sure about the water.

The kettle is about 90+ years old so I don't know if it was ever seasoned properly, I assumed it was and started using it to boil water. got rust. Can't keep it full of water because in the winter it boils out and in the summer it evaporates out. Boiled water in my CI bean pot a couple of time and had to reseson it before I could cook properly again , so I don't think the oil or grease trick will work. My properly seasoned frying pan is better then a Teflon pan but it doesn't like water either. The paint for stoves works great on stoves but doesn't hold up well to water. The only trick I have found is once the kettle is dry is to scour it out and fill with water, but it needs to be scoured each time it goes dry, a lot of trouble. So far the only things that seem to be workaable are a new and different type of kettle or plating the inside of this one. Any other Ideas that anyone can think of let me know, and Lew I will try the marbles and see if that helps any.

I don't quite understand what you want to do. Do you want to show off your nice cast iron "teakettle"? Then I think cleaning it, seasoning it, and keeping it nice and dry is you best bet - make it a "schatzke" (spelling?). Or do you want to humidify your room? In that case, there are real honest to goodness humidifiers for sale. The alternative to a machine is to get a shallow but large pan that can sit on a source of heat (radiator, stove, what have you). Ideally it should be made of terracotta or something like a pot for a plant (but then without a drainage hole!). A glass (Pyrex) baking dish can do also. Way, way back there were terracotta (or something like it) "tubes" that hung on a radiator, between the fins, and had to be kept full of water. Worked very well, but technology has progressed <grin>, and I can't really find them by googling.
--
Best regards
Han