cast iron kettle

I think using the tea kettle is basicaly a lost cause because of the rust. I will try to coat the inside one of these days. I am not familiar with the zinc process could you give more information? I agree that zink is not a good for cookware.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

If you wonder why you're having a problem with rust, go back 100 years and research steam locomotives. Steam (and the production process leading to it) is extremely corrosive. There are lots of pictures around of the insides of boilers (not just locomotives) in need of overhaul. They are not pretty. The battle against the effects of steam on running gear was constant. You should expect nothing less with your tea kettle.

I guess my suggestion (as others have) would be to retire it, season it, and let it sit out for your conversation piece without actual use. Find another vessel or method for humidification.

By the way, if you actually do use it occasionally for tea preparation ignore any of the advice to coat the insides with WD-40 or the like. Petroleum distillates are not considered "good eats."

Reply to
LRod

Ron Hock

Reply to
Rollie

You can use marbles or pea gravel.

Any pot that is used as a humidifier, will form calcuim desposits in the bottom of the pan as a residue formed by the evaporation process.

The marbles roll around the bottom an prevent the deposits from clinging to the bottom of the pot.

My guess is to prevent the rust, you will not bel able to let the pot go dry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
DonkeyHody

The Japanese have been using cast iron teapots called Tetsubins for centuries. Cast iron is still the teapot of choice for the Japanese tea-drinking purist. It seems that the small amount of iron introduced into the water improves the flavor.

All the use and care instructions for Tetsubins I have seen warn to empty the pot and dry thorougly after each use to avoid rust. They specifically warn against leaving water standing in the pot. If there were an easy way to avoid the problem, I'm sure they would have found it by now.

DonkeyHody "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are not."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Awkward at the best of times, this is damn near impossible on cast-iron, if you expect it to be rustproof afterwards, The problem is porosity forming around the free carbon grains.

I'd suggest cheap stainless instead, because it's 2007 and every kitchen has a spare pot or pan in it.

If you do use cast iron, just let the water saturate with iron and then no more will rust. Add a touch of Fernox (central heating water treatment) or else just let some rust and dissolve.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

J. Clarke :

Unless it boils dry.

/Par

Reply to
Par

If you like the look of the cast iron tea kettle, you could always try to find a stainless steel cylinder of an appropriate size that will fit inside the mouth of the kettle, and just put the water in the cylinder.

Granted it probably won't work so well as a water-pourer, but it should maintain the aesthetics of the shop and keep the inside of the pot from getting rusty.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

If thats what your thinking