Carpet tape

I have done a couple of projects that the directions suggested using carpet tape to hold a templet to follow to route a straight line or follow another object to duplicate it. Each time the tape did not hold tight enough, it slipped and ruined my work piece. I got the tape at Hartville Hardware. Any one have any suggestions on what I need to do to make this work? I have a few other projects that suggest this same method.
James Keevil wrote:

Maybe the tape wasn't fresh. I use whatever cheap stuff Home Depot has when I need it and it works fine. It's in a green, yellow and white box, I can't recall the brand.
Some tips:
- Use plenty of tape. You'll know you have enough when the template becomes difficult to remove.
- PUSH the pattern down to make sure it's really stuck. I often need a putty knife to release the tape, as it really sticks. Much of the time I can use the tape for two cuts before it won't hold well enough.
- Rough out the shape as close to the template as possible, with a band saw, jigsaw, coping saw, whatever... so the router bit won't have to take huge bites.
- Make sure there isn't dust, oil, wax, or anything else that can interfere with the tape.
- If you're using hardboard for the template, make sure you're taping to the smooth side if both sides aren't smooth.

Two things you might want to try, on some scrap. First, get heavy duty carpet tape. This stuff is pretty commonly available. I find this stuff a lot stickier than standard grade. Second, make sure you are getting a good bond. I've gotten in the habit of putting a tight clamp or three on the workpiece and the pattern to bond them together. When prying them apart I occasionally notice small bits of wood pulled off the workpiece.
Hope this helps.

Have you tried different tape? Perhaps it is just that particular roll or brand of tape. I've used cheap, no-name brand carpet tape from a dollar store lots of times without any trouble. In fact, I usually cut it into pretty small pieces just so I can get things apart when I'm finished!

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
I use generic tape with no problems. However, I do put it into a 200# press ( I stand on the joined pieces) before routing. Cheers, JG

mostly I just use clamps. use enough of them so that as you take some off ahead of the router and erplace them behind the router things can't shift around.
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:53:18 -0500, "James Keevil"

When I use carpet tape I usually have difficulty in separating the template from the work. Make to remove the saw dust with a blow gun or vacuum. 3M is a good brand.