Canadians - guess who's coming?

Just read on another forum that Lowes and Woodcraft are coming to Canada! What do you think of this? I think it is great news - especially Woodcraft, because I am getting fed up with just going to Lee Valley. Time for some choice! I just checked Lowes site and it is already announced there. Checked Woodcraft site but couldn't find any info' yet. Can't wait!

Reply to
Matt Cos

I stopped going to Lee Valley when they started selling yuppy toys instead of tools. Hell, you can't work in the garden and get dirty any more! Now I browse the catalogue, but it's like going to the flea market. There's always a minute chance you'll see something among the junk [I once got a great antique small yankee drill, mint, for a dollar, and several planes for a dollar or two each]. Who needs a gyroscope, or a long hose that attaches to your kitchen tap for watering your houseplants without carrying around a nasty old watering can? What happens when you disconnect the thing after every use? Do you empty the hose, or leave it coiled around the kitchen tap and greet every visitor in your rubber apron and gardening shoes?

Reply to
Guess who

Could you trade us a Lee Valley? I'm getting fed up with Woodcraft.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

LV isn't all that it is cracked up to be. As has been stated on this thread, they have lots of gimmicks and gadgets. A lot of the tools are poor quality, they make them look good with their pictures. Most of their stuff is made in places like China and India. If it doesn't say made in USA or Canada in the catalogue, chances are that is where it comes from. Yes, they are good at taking stuff back when it breaks but it's a pain in the a** going back and forth. I am sure Woodcraft has its problems but at least it would give LV some competition and us Canadians would have a better choice.

Reply to
Matt Cos

Anything specific? My experience with LV tools is just the opposite. I consider them to be an excellent value.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Really? A lot of them? Which ones have let you down?

Reply to
bob

To answer Dave and Bob, - LV Hammer - massive advertising on this quite a while ago - small hammer, head came loose on my straight away and later the shaft broke. Had a look at the one on display and there were gaps in the top where the handle goes in the head. They are cheap imports. - Life-time screwdrivers they adverstise - I guess they will last a lifetime, if you keep taking them back. The head twisted off mine. - Engineers squares - haven't seen one yet that is accurate - New Veritas Mk 2 honing guide - not able to hold my chisels; they just skew in the holder so I took it back.

These are not signs of quality. I can go on, but these are a few samples.

Reply to
Matt Cos

You may have got a dud. I assume you contacted LV and they replaced it/refunded your money? I haven't used it, so can't comment.

The site says "These screwdrivers come with a lifetime guarantee when used for driving screws (as opposed to chipping concrete or random use as a pry bar) and will be cheerfully replaced free of charge as required." Pretty clear to me.

Haven't used, can't comment.

Works with my chisels and plane blades to my satisfaction.

That's four tools. You said "A lot of the tools are poor quality, they make them look good with their pictures."

As I said, your experience contrasts sharply with mine, and I have a "lot" of their tools.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sounds more like bad luck than bad tools. I sink more of my income into that evil store than I care to admit, and am continually impressed by the quality of their tools...and they get a hell of a workout around here.

Reply to
bob

I like LV also but give the guys a break. He listed four tools and specific problems with each. How many would he need to list before you were satisfied.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

If I were to consider four tools to equal "lots", then he'd have to list no more.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Personally, I love Lee Valley's catelogs. I look forward to them. The Christmas one in particular. I end up getting a lot of stocking stuffers for the kids there. I think it's great.

Sure, they're a tool store that has grown to include garden stuff. Frankly, I know a lot of woodworkers who are also into gardening (or their spouse is) - I think it's a good fit.

That said, if you don't like the trinket stuff - DON"T BUY IT. Obviously, enough people do like it - if you go by the store around the holidays, half that stuff usually gets sold out by the beginning of December.

I think Lee Valley is great. I certainly welcome Woodcraft and Lowes (I hate the Depo), but I will still be a pretty loyal Lee Valley customer. They've always done right by me. I've received updated manuals in the mail for products I've bought (without asking for them). I've received refund cheques when a price has dropped. I've received replacement parts for a product because they thought the original design was defective in some way. While LV is not the least expensive store in town, I have to believe that I've always got my money's worth. And when you look at the big picture (like those things I just mentioned) - that's customer service that is unheard of, and I appreciate it.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

Woodcraft could be useful, but Lowes? I take it your area does not have a Home Depot (not that HD is actually better then Lowes, they carry mostly similar stuff) I take it you area doesn't have House of Tools or Canadian Tire either.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I bought their HSS wood drill bits. Wow, talk about sharp! Great quality. Could not find similar at Lowes or HD or Ace.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

We have KMS tools which is usually much cheaper than House of Tools. There is Bosstools online as well but they carry very little in the way of hand tools.

I just wish Lee Valley would stop using the post office for delivery. I won't buy again until the do.

Reply to
jimmy

I believe Lee Valley gives the customer a choice of shipping methods.

Reply to
Upscale

That's the first question I ask.

Reply to
jimmy

I do think so.

Upscale

But you would be wrong. Priority Post just get's the parcel to the local post office faster. You still have to pick it up.

Reply to
jimmy

Expedited Shipping Services We are currently working on adding an automated expedited shipping service to our Web site. However, if you would like to receive your order faster, you may choose to upgrade your shipping method with one of our courier services manually.

You have a choice of a courier. Try reading a little first.

Reply to
Upscale