Canada Post shipping experience.

Page 1 of 4

Your parcel is at the post office. Drive 6 miles. Look for parking. Find a meter one block away. Wait in line 15 minutes. Parcel is huge. Does the post office have a dolly you can borrow. You must be joking. Tell them you will be right back. Go get truck park illegally right out front of post office. Go into post office get sent to the back of the line. Wait 10 minutes. Carry parcel out to truck. Discover illegal parking ticket on window. Stop ordering from company. Not Lee Valley that time but it could have been.
This is nothing try picking up a parcel in December. You can wait 40 minutes.

So by not ordering from that company again will that solve the problems you had with the post office for future deliveries?

stuff as the other company and deliver to my door...cheaper as well. I quit Futureshop who used to deliver to my door, and now use Staples and Office Depot who deliver right to my door...Free. I use City Chef who delivers FREE right to my door. Even Sears now delivers right to my door.
I avoid any company who uses Canada Post.
On 7-Apr-2006, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Canada Post delivers right to my door. I always request Canada Post if shipping is from the US (via USPS obviously) or if it is not free. Canada Post is cheaper and doesn't charge outrageous customs brokerage fees like the parcel delivery companies.
The problem you have is not the companies you deal with - it's your relationship with Canada Post. Maybe you should find out why you seem to be one of the only people who doesn't get a parcel delivered to your door.
Mike

Along with the other TWENTY THOUSAND people within 60 miles of me. None of us get home delivery and that includes parcels shipped by Canada Post. .

That sounds like how the PS in the US is going. I still have mail delivered to my box at the street in front of my house. Older neighbor hoods have mail delivered literally to the front door. New neighborhoods have to collect mail at the end of the street in a central collection of mail boxes. I suspect large packages that do not fit the box have to be picked up at the PO.

And if it's a downtown postal Station it can be horrible getting in and out in less than an hour. Then carrying the parcel a block or two. I'm willing to pay the difference between Canada Post and UPS or Purilator for home delivery but the option is not available through ANY online company I've used. It's Canada Post or nothing.

We have one of those cluster boxes in my neighborhood (and we aren't a typical suburban subdivision). For parcels, there are several boxes that can hold parcels. Postman puts parcel for you in one of the boxes and leaves the key for you in your regular small box. You get the key, attempt to determine just which box it goes to (did I mention they don't have labels on the key?) and remove your parcel, the parcel door captures the key when you open the door and the postman retreives it the next time somebody has a package and they need that box. Your guess is correct, if the box is too big, you have to go to the post office to pick it up.
A couple of problems with this setup. 1) the front of the box has a lip around it (the door frame). The back of the box that is used by the mailman opens up in a single fell swoop allowing the postman access to all the mail slots at once, thus all boxes have the full dimension of the box available to the mailman. The mailman does *not* like taking parcels back to the post office, so he (or she) is motivated to make sure that the parcel *will* fit into one of those parcel boxes. It may take a bit of squeezing on his part, but you'd be surprised how much you can squeeze a parcel to fit into a more confined space. Postman grunts, squeezes and gets the large package into the parcel box and leaves the key for the postal customer. Postal customer picks up his mail, discovers the key, fiddles around with all the parcel doors until he finds the one that the key opens, opens the door and attempts to retrieve his package. I did mention that the customer end of the box has a lip around the door, didn't I? i.e., the customer does *not* have access to the full width nor height of the the parcel box. For really large parcels inserted by really motivated mail carriers, the customer doesn't even have any place to get his fingers around the package either. I have literally had to cut boxes apart in the parcel box in order to get my delivery out. Second problem 2) Those boxes and keys get a *lot* of use over the years. Keys wear out, but the postman doesn't realize that. I got a package last week; after spending about 5 minutes trying to figure out which box the key went to because it did not work in any of the key holes, I could not get the key to open any of the locks. I wound up having to drive home, get a pair of pliers, and drive back (it's about a 1 mile drive to our cluster ... box) and was finally able to use the pliers to turn the key and retrieve my package from HMS products with my 320 grit Shapton stone, stone flattening jig and powders. The key was so worn, it barely worked.

Where does your mail go?

Is Canada Post the national mail delivery? All the others that deliver to your door, is it their trucks delivering vs. a common carrier? If so I wish we down here still had that kind of service.

Yes, that's "Canada Post". They do have their own delivery trucks. They deliver right to the door if you also get mail delivery right to your door, but many new suburbs ("new" being <20 years old, probably) have "Superboxes" that are like an outdoor postbox located a few doors away or around the corner, and rural areas often only have a postbox in a nearby town available to people, so many don't get to-the-door delivery.
All the private companies will typically deliver to your door in urban areas and if you have a street address in a town they service, but they won't deliver to PO boxes or in rural areas. They typically use their own trucks, too, but in some areas they contract with local delivery agents (small towns, etc.)

So... this is the way it is and the way it has been for quite a while in Canada. That just makes the OP's original post (whine) all the more ludicrous. He comes to a woodworking newsgroup and pitches a big bitch about the way deliveries are in Canada. The OP needs to get used to life where he lives or move.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Listen moron, EVERYTHING I order now is delivered to my door by courier. From Mark's Work Warehouse, to Staples, Office Depot, City Chef, Boss tools, and several others. Most are FREE delivery for large enough orders as well.

Moron? You come to a woodworking newsgroup and piss your pants because you have to drive six miles, suffer a parking ticket for parking illegally, and carry a package out to your car - all of which has absolutely nothing to do with woodworking, and you call me a moron? Maybe you should have taken your little hissy fit to alt.PMS.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yes. Anyone who replies to a thread about a subject he has no interest in just to BITCH and Whine about it is a MORON.

I'll give you this - you're amusing. Not too freakin' bright, but you are amusing.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I see a Puralator Van on my street almost every day. Tons of people here use them. We are 50 miles from a hardware store. I even have nails delivered for my nail guns. It would take me two hours and fifteen bucks in gas to go get them. Courier cost me 12 bucks. Even Sears has started using them here for home delivery. I think Lee Valley could get a good deal from them.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe writes:

I hope it doesn't bother you that Purolator is owned by the Post Office. :-)
Oddly, you can buy Purolator service from the Post Office nearest to where I work, but you can't get them to deliver to a PO Box in the same building....

Would that be because they would then be competing with themselves??

Perhaps, but the only courier that I know of that will deliver to a PO Box is Priority Post, which is Canada Post's internal courier service (as opposed to Purolator, which they own but runs as a mostly-independent business). The Purolator policy could be one that existed before Canada Post bought them, and is maintained as part of an arms-length business realtionship. Other couriers also won't deliver to PO boxes (although I'm sure theyd rather take the business than let it go to Priority Post), and I have no idea whether that is their policy, or because the Post Office usually won't accept delivery from them. I know of one Post Office that will accept delivery from other couriers if you send it to their street address, but that could be against policy...