Can I use a DC on small tools?

Can I attach a dust collector to my sander or router, or will the small opening/hose involved be a stain on the DC motor?
I understand it is task better suited to a shopvac, but the DC is quieter and easier to clean; but, I wouldn't want to damage it.

Reducing the intake size actually mkkes the DC work less. The less air it moves the easier it is on the motor.
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:03:41 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

I just checked that out last week. The DC takes just a bit less current sealed off than when running normal. If anything the motor runs a bit cooler. I used a cottage cheese container as an adapter to the smaller hose. It slips in the 4" DC hose perfectly and the vacum holds it in. Cut out the bottom to fit your sander hose.
Happy Thanksgiving all!
John
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:03:41 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

The small opening won't do any harm. I run my DC with 4" hose to a 1.5" dia. port on my band saw and jigsaw. What can damage a DC is sucking up chunks of wood or pieces of metal, but a drop box or cyclone can prevent that. I found the shop vac clogs up too fast.

it won't hurt it but it may not move much air either. 2" hose and smaller and a dc really does not have much airflow. no real way around this.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes