can I make a sliding table....

Can I make a sliding table for a 10'' table saw? If so how would I attempt this? Thanks in advance

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Yes.

Carefully and with much thought.

Seriously, if you want one out of wood, you can make a large wooden sled and support the left side with an adjustable horse.

If you want one out of metal, learn how to weld and take a peek at some of the commercial units.

And, last but not least, DAGS.

No prob (tm Keeter)

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Sort-of

Sliding table, as in a major metal accessory to a table saw which replaces a wing of the table saw.....NO

Do a search on "Panel cutting jig", or "crosscut sled" ... That's what you want.

Simple, and effective, I have a couple... probably my most-used jig in the shop.

Reply to
Stephen M

Reply to
nospambob

There are all kinds of variations to Sliding tables (cross cut sleds) basically they consist of a Panel (melamine, plywood, MDF, etc.) something to go into the miter slots (one for each side is best) and boards or angle iron or a combo at the front and back edges to keep the table on either side of the blade together.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

I found a place that shows me what one looks like. What is "melamine"?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not only CAN you, you SHOULD!

Explore these links, for various methods to make a crosscut sled.

This can be truly one of the most useful tools you can make.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Melamine is a plastic sheet often used to coat particle board or other types of manufactured, compressed sheet goods. Consider it similar to arborite.

Reply to
Upscale

Are you serious?

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

That is a helpful link to info on crosscut sleds, but that is not the same thing as sliding table. You do many of the same things with a crosscut led but it is really not the same.

For example, see the Rockler page

should be possible to construct a sliding table, but it is more challenging than a crosscut sled.

Reply to
Bob Haar

I know.

What operation can you do on a sliding table that cannot be done on a sled, with the addition of a miter bar to the sled?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Rich,

I actually purchased a downloadable plan from Wood Mag (I think) for a shop built sliding table. It does replace the wing to the right of the blade and used 1 aluminum rail and 2 guide blocks. Ironically I was just flipping through some old ww files and came across it.

The source list told you where to buy the rail and guide blocks but that comapny no longer carries them. I found almost the exact same thing at Reid Tool Supply and I figure it will cost around $80 for those components. The rest are just wooden parts and plastics knobs if memory serves me correct (I don't have the plan in this computer).

I just did a quick search and could not find the plan on Wood Mag's website. Let me know if you really want to do this. I can't use it on my saw because of the way the fence is configured, so I may be willing to sell it to you (maybe in the neighborhood of $.01, just so I don't infringe on anyone's copyrights).

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

That sound good. just let me know

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Ever see a BIG sled?

I've seen shop made sleds that can handle a 4x8 sheet. Adding counterweight to the side of the sled that doesn't have much of work will help it slide like a dream, if you're only cutting a small part from the full sheet. You can clamp hold down blocks to the front and rear fences to help hold the sheet in place.

I'll agree that sliding tables are easier to use for crosscutting full sheets, and much easier to store than a massive sled, but the sled will work fine.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Size a full sheet of plywood

Reply to
Russell

You know, I bought the small Excalibur sliding table from woodcraft, and having worked it with it for a couple of years, I actually think it would be easy to make a better one. It replaces the left wing. The rails it rides on are just 1.5" hot rolled steel tubing; I've already replaced those with longer ones by buying new tubing and cleaning it up with an angle grinder and wire brush. I don't even think you'd need to know how to weld to build your own; the table could be made of either metal or plywood, and even if you went for metal, I'm not sure you'd have to weld anything.. You just need some ball bearings, the rails, some cam adjusters for the bearings, and whatever you're going to make your fence and table out of.

Reply to
Tim Carver