Can I convert my router to hold 1/2 inch bits

Page 1 of 2

x-no-archive:yes
I have a Ryobi router my father bought me for Christmas. It uses 1/4 inch bits. Can it be converted to use 1/2 bits? The reason I am asking is I would like to experiment with raised panel bits in my router table but I have never been able to find them in 1/4 inch shank size.

No

And it couldn't spin a raised panel bit anyhow; too wimpy and (probably) no variable speed.
x-no-archive:yes
Is varible speed necessary? Toller wrote:

stryped wrote:

Read and you shall be rewarded.
Section : Understanding routing http://www.patwarner.com /
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

And we all know that raised panel bits are the only ones with 1/2" shanks.

no
Sorry about that Toller. Guess I'm stuck in asshole mode today.

I always thought that was one of your finer traits :)
Tim W wrote:

That's Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick No.
stryped wrote:

No you cant,however if you want raised panel bits for a 1/4" ebay
http://tinyurl.co.uk/l2s0
--

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Here's another set if you want to buy now,rather than wait? http://tinyurl.co.uk/fhpf
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Swinging a 2" diameter bit with 1/2" depth of cut on a 1/4" shank at full speed with 1.5 hp... let us know how that goes.
boorite wrote:

Also, we'll be wanting to do that in red oak.
x-no-archive:yes
What is wrong with Red Oak? boorite wrote:

It's red. Very negative color.

Unfortunately it won't be red enough to mask the blood when the bit breaks and shreds whatever part of your body it hits.
Rich wrote:

Unless the shank just keels over first.
I'm entirely too amused by this thread, BTW.

Yeah, read for "stop" or "danger"
Best to use green wood...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
stryped wrote:

For the purpose of swinging a 2" diameter panel-raising bit on a 1.5 hp router, red oak is a bit on the hard side.
The good news: That burning smell is probably the wood.
The bad news: It is probably also the motor.