Can anyone ID this tree

I know this isn't a binary group, so I'll post the image as a link
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/houseideas/websize/P4290109.JPG
Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the prettiest angle I could get of it.

Too close.. At this distance it looks like the Crab Apple that I have in my front yard.

I was going to say the same thing - looks like an apple. But a clear close-up shot of a leaf would help a great deal. The leaves look too shiny and smooth (not serrated edges) for a birch, and although birch bark can be dark colored, the bark texture doesn't look right for birch either, IME. Does this tree flower in the spring? If it has pink or white flowers, it might be an apple. If it has "catkins" that look something like this,
http://completerunning.com/Loping-LouBob/wp-content/BirchCatkin.jpg
it may be a birch. Closer and farther pictures would help, as would a rough idea of your geographic location. Andy

I'm no expert but could it be a pomegranate? The leaves look kind of right.
Ben.

Looks like a Prunus, hybrid on root stock, the sucker growth looks like Prunus, although could be Malus- a distant shot showing the shape of the crown would be helpful.

Yeah, I was thinking that too -- maybe a plum?
--
Regards,

With leaves like that, it's no birch. How about posting another photo from a greater distance, to give a better view of the bark and the shape of the tree?
Your friendly local library or bookstore should have, or be able to get, a copy of the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. There are two editions, eastern and western - get the one appropriate for your region (assuming you live somewhere in North America, of course). Tremendously helpful in identifying trees. The books give photos of bark, both spring and autumn foliage, and flowers and fruit if any, as well as silhouettes of typical mature specimens and very thorough descriptions.
--
Regards,