Cabinet saw and router table extension question

I am thinking of purchasing the Grizzly 1023 left tilt table saw. I would like to add a benchdog cast iron router table extension to the right side of the saw. Can I attach the router table extension to the existing right wing between the rails, or will this be too much weight without support legs?

Here is a link to the saw and the rails sticking out on the right side. The cast iron router table wing would attach between the rails on the right side (beyond the existing right side wing).

know the standard procedure would be to replace the right wing on this saw with the cast iron router wing. I have also heard that the rails are only there to support the fence, not another table (is this true?). However, if I did this I would need to work between the rails in about 27" of space. If this were the case, it may be easier to order a right tilt machine and place the router wing on the left side and not have to work around protruding rails.

Any comments are appreciated.

Carl

Reply to
cb

With the additional weight of the extra table and router plus the down forces that can be placed on the workpiece, I would place an additional pair of legs at the end of the rails. IMO this would be a better option than having the router on the LHS, the main reason being that you can add hardwood slotted faces to the RH side of the existing fence and use that as your router fence.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

I say yes, that will work fine. Now, my judgment comes from this experience. I have a Unisaw with 30" biesemeyer fence. It's on a Shopfox mobile base. I do not have legs under the 30" fence. One of the nice things about the 30" fence, beyond the obvious less shop space, is that legs are NOT needed under the short fence/table board. I can assure you that I can not tip my saw by hanging my considerable personal mass on the end of the table. Your Griz with short fence is not much different in proportions and there is no way an extra cast iron wing is going to tip your saw.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I disagree with Bill. Adding that extra weight on there could tip the saw. I can tip my 1023 using the fence rails fairly easily. I'd put legs under it. Last thing you want is to be pushing something through the router and having it tip on you (even if it doesn't tip over)

-Jack.

proportions

Reply to
Jack
[snip]
[Snip]

Carl,

See my photo over in a.b.p.w for how I did this on my G1023SL.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

Monty,

What is a.b.p.w.?

I would absolutely add the legs. What do you lose? The consequences of possibly tipping over the saw far outweigh what little inconvenience you think you might experience having a couple legs. Have some peace of mind. Additionally, you'll be adding more weight and downpressure when your working on it.

Keep us posted on how your Grizzly 1023SL works out.

Reply to
MN Guy

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - a newsgroup to post pictures.

dave

MN Guy wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave