Buying USA?

Page 1 of 3

After spending sometime shopping this weekend, (which I hate) I'm finding out that nothing is made in the USA anymore. Most is made in China. With all this money going overseas to china, is there a chance we could be supporting the Chinease Military? Scary thought.
Also, spent some time checking out Rockler's Pre Christmas sale, I noticed most of what I was interested in was made in China. It also occurred to me that other woodworking retailers offer the same products but under their name. Is most of this stuff manufactured in China and their name stamped on it? So you're really getting the samething only with different names?
Does Lee Valley or others as an example sell more made in the USA products than say Rockler? And does anyone know of a list, broken down by category of made in the USA products? Example: Tools, Furniture, Building products etc.
Just a little concerned about all this $$$$ going to China and our politicians and retail manufactures promoting this idea. Is National Security an issue? Not to mention all the jobs lost to this practice.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Never Enough Money wrote:

And what products are you talking about? Living in the USA I'm having trouble finding made in USA products, can't imagine folks in other countries finding made in USA products.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Ho, do not worry, they will be product made in USA, the day were they get paied $40 an hour and you get paid 20c ...

store (except for a small minority). They go to speciality shop and negotiate for hours.... a fun thing to watch...
cyrille

Just because the Chinese don't shop at big box stores doesn't mean that they wouldn't eventually buy one of the big box chanins as an investment.
They do have Super Walmarts in China. I have seen pictures and they look almost identical to an American Super Walmart except the signs are in Chinese.
Brian Elfert
I have been to China and discovered they are capitalist. So my conclusion, they will maximize profit even if it means buying from the US, or anybody else. That's the way capitalism should work. Cyrille de Brbisson wrote:

evodawg wrote:

China just ordered a bunch of Cessna 172's.
<http://www.assemblymag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,6493,161438,00.html

They just ordered a bunch (160) of A-320's as well. That puts airbus up by a couple of ten's on Boeing this year in china (but I think world-wide, boeing's order book increased more this year than Airbus); looks like b. will sell a record number of 777's this year, most of them to south asia.
evodawg wrote:

Took a cruise in the Caribbean last spring. Was rather surprised to find quite a few items made in USA at the gift shops - clothes and trinkets. Go figure.
On 6 Dec 2005 08:10:17 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Never

You misspelled "American's Unions have ratcheted up wages...", Nem.
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... ----------------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com -- Wisearse Website Design
evodawg (in oBilf.5062$H84.2414@trnddc04) said:
| Just a little concerned about all this $$$$ going to China and our | politicians and retail manufactures promoting this idea. Is National | Security an issue? Not to mention all the jobs lost to this | practice.
Not really a problem. At least some of the money will come back when the Chinese use it to buy Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, K-Mart,...

I am trying to locate an article, which I read a couple of months ago, about the US having some navy vessels built in Chinese shipyards. I do recall that it was from a source like AP or Reuters....

What kind of car/truck do you own? Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

1-F-250 pick up 3-F-350 Flatbeds 1-F-800 Telsta T-40 Bucket Truck 1 "69" Chevelle 1 05 Mustang
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Well at least you own US Made trucks. I completely agree with you on doing all I can to avoid buying non-US made products. (As I type on my Sony Vaio Laptop). The reality and difficulty of this practice sets in when shopping for certain items. But when it comes to woodworking machine tools, all of the major mfg'rs have the tools made in China.
Dave

Does he? My dad's Ford, and my mom's Chevy, were both made in Canada. I'd rather that, if a car is foreign-made, that it's honest about it, instead of just looking like it's American.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I do know that most USA built cars/trucks have parts built in Mexico, Canada and even Japan. Most are at least assembled in the US, some in Canada. I know for a FACT my 69 Chevelle, parts and assembled in the US. I'm really proud of this car, if your interested in seeing it I will post a pic on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

and the final assembly line simply bolts together a few sub assemblies that are shipped to that plant. That final assembly is only a very small part of the picture when you count the amount of people it takes to make such a complex product. Add in all the accounts, project manager, supplier managers, designers, engineers, technical writers, managers, QA testers, etc, etc, etc and you begin to realize that the home country of the maker is where the most of the wages are paid. So even though Ford and GM may assemble vehicles in other countries they are still doing more work in the US than any of the few that are assembling their cars in the us and claiming them as American made.

And many of the "foreign" makes have design, manufacturing, and assembly facilities in the US. Some cars (maybe all?) list the percentage of parts made in the US.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

backed up after 9/11 because they ran out of parts and the rest were stuck in customs coming from Japan but they still get to advertise as made in Ohio.