Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

Page 3 of 4
"Andy" wrote in message

like
while
screw.
Yeah ... one batch for the last five custom kitchens ... hardly likely. :)
Re-read the first three words you quoted above.

The more you get into woodworking the more you realize that, for the most part, Rockler branded items are mostly chinese/cheap and pretty much suck, particularly on what can be considered woodworking "supply" items.
You admitted that you haven't tried McFeely's screws, a requirement in order to make objective judgments. Give them a try and your love affair with Rockler screws will evaporate, guaranteed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote: ...

That's the rub for me -- it's sorta' like the HF deal -- there's no telling what will get unloaded off the boat the next time. From one reorder to the next they're likely to have completely changed suppliers so there's no guarantee that what was satisfactory/good the last time will be the next...
Leading to the possibility that both accounts are accurate from their own experience. (Altho I agree McF's is uniformly top-notch).
"dpb" wrote in message

Nahh ... too wishy washy, IMO. :)
Let me put it more "accurately": When you're building/installing $$,$$$.$$ custom kitchens, you will only attempt to do so with Rockler screws ONCE".
(Well, maybe twice, cuz you thought you got a "bad batch" the first time ... but you didn't!)
Now, that's "accurate", guaranteed! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Must have gone to the Sears-Roebuck school of made-by-the-lowest-bidder.
We've been twisting these screws for the last ten years or so: http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/R4_1_2_information.htm and I can count on one hand the number of heads that have twisted off. And, they're not Chinese although they are Canadian. Here in Houston, Circle Saw is the only source I've ever been able to locate though, ironically, I find them at South Texas rural Do-It-Best hardware centers and, for about the same price which is usually around $6.00/lb.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

one
source
Texas
Yep ... those are good fasteners. Bill at CS turned me on to them a few years ago, but I hardly every get by there, unless it's to get something repaired.
I do better getting to Mid-America than I do CS, even though it is inside the loop (barely) so I don't even need to get my passport stamped.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Dude... you're the one with the love affair. Personally, I prefer having at least two choices I can live with.
John Doe wrote:
> Dude... you're the one with the love affair. Personally, I prefer > having at least two choices I can live with.
When you get dry behind the ears, maybe you will know what to look for when selecting a supplier.
Lew
"John Doe" opined

If I need something quick and dirty, I can go to the big box stores and get some that will work about half of the time.
If I need something that is quality and just right for the job, I go to an industrial fastener house.
The thing that is interesting to me is that many people do not realize there are such things as quality fasteners.

Just to add my $.02 on countersinks: avoid using ones with a single cutting flute, unless it is the type that slides onto a drill bit. It will make countersinks that are off-center from the drilled hole. I've got a 5-flute countersink bit that works much better (forget where I got it, probably either Ace, Home Depot, or Lowe's)
Mark
McFeeleys's - the DIY Dozen. If you have not "converted" to sqaure drive, do it now.

A friend of mine used to sell those screw assortment packs in the classifieds in the back of magazines. He said the markup was unbelievable.
Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them. You can also get huge quantities of screws at tag and garage sales. Estate tag sales are the best as you're in the guy's basement and they're looking to clear out everything and the screws _never_ sell. The people running the tag sale would be thrilled for you to do the work getting them out of the house for them. The fasteners are often already in some homemade storage rack to simplify things on your end.
RicodJour wrote:

That's a terrific idea.
B A R R Y wrote:

My luck has always been all that's there is the myriad of coffee cans full of miscellaneous stuff all throwed together--or, the organized set that sells for more than it would new... :(
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

What surprised me at first was, how a box of 1000 usually only costs as much as 2 or 3 100-packs. What surprised me even more was how quickly they're gone ;-)
Those 'self-counter-sinking' screws are fine in plywood and softwood but I don't like using them with MDF since they often throw up a ridge around the head, so I use a countersink bit regardless. They don't work in hard wood. And they stink for screwing on metal hardware. Ironically, screws that don't have the ridges are harder to get in these parts now - I often have to put in a special order for them.
I use stainless with square drive almost exclusively these days. Price difference is negligible in bulk amounts.
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

Same here.
I also like the way McFeely's square drive screws don't have tapered threads. They hold better in a straight sided hole, and eliminate faffing around with tapered drills.

Since this thread is wandering a bit off the OP's topic I will add one more story. A good many years ago I started a small cabinet making business after a career as an engineer. I bought the new tools I needed from a small shop who carried professional quality tools, supplies and provided sharpening services. He eventually focused solely on sharpening and told me that the BORG was selling tools for less than he had to pay at wholesale. Joe G
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Yupp. Friend of mine had a small computer business once. The wholesale prices he got were more than some of the retail I paid (elsewhere).
The dice are loaded.
-P.

This is where Ignore Subthread really shines, especially if the particular branch has gone completely off topic and you're the original poster looking for enlightenment.
I guess some people can remember without opening the next post in a particular thread branch, but not me.
Thanks, and have fun.

www.mcfeeleys.com
great products, reasonable prices. Occasional wReck participant.
no affiliation, etc.
Patriarch

I like their simple/clear illustrations. Bought a zinc plated #8 assortment (that includes a required squarehead screw bit and screwdriver) and a 1/8" x 3/8" countersink thingy. Shipping was only $7.50 (US) so I passed on the unplated screw assortment pack. Yada yada yada.
I've noticed square drill bits at the hardware store lately.
Mostly off-topic, and for what it's worth. I like the point choices of their "security" screw bit assortment pack, but looks like the screw bits fit into a magnetic holder. Seems to me most of the problem fasteners are recessed in a narrow hole. Currently, I have a set of thin torx screwdrivers. Would like some of those two point type screw bits too, but on the end of narrow shafts. And then maybe an assortment of star drive stuff. Maybe some day. At least square bits/tips are easy to understand :)
Have fun... see you later.