building windows

I would like to replace a few older windows in my house. They are large 6'10" x 30" with fixed glass. Does anyone know a good reference for window construction.
Also, does anyone know of a wood substitute which would work.
Mike
Don't know of a reference, but a wood substitute which might work would be cellular PVC. It is a wood substitute often used for exterior moulding. It can be cut, machined, carved, and painted just like regular wood except it doesn't crack, splinter, rot, or warp. One caveat: it can be somewhat expensive, so I would prototype in wood, then build the actual one in cellular PVC.