Bruce Johnson & Safety

Page 1 of 3
I don't watch woodworking shows, as I don't watch much TV. Last night, I was channel surfing in bed, as I'm out of reading material. I've seen negative references to Bruce Johnson posted here before, but I had no idea what you folks were talking about.
I really can't believe Bruce still has all his appendages!
First I watched him crosscut on a table saw. Each time he cut a board, he pulled it BACK through the blade. I don't know about the rest of you, but after the board passes MY blade, it's cut. <G>
Now for the killer! After cutting a board, he pulls it back through the blade and stops, leaving the board sitting in the miter gauge, an inch or so from the _still under power blade_. Leaving the work sitting there he removes his hands to get a tape measure. The saw is _still_ running. Next, he measures the already cut board, swinging is right hand back and forth while he talks. His hand is swinging within INCHES of the spinning saw blade, because he's making eye contact with the camera while he talks!!! <G>
I swear he trimmed some of the little hairs off the back of his hand!
I can understand not wanting to reset the camera shot by going away from the saw to measure, but leaving it running? <G>
Any day I fully expect to see video of him losing a body part on Consumption Junction.
Barry
in message

Will probably never see this because they keep showing the same tired and worn out segments every month. Maybe there is another reason for not making any newer shows??????????????

Maybe he did cut off a limb. <G>
Barry
Hey Barry who the hell is Bruce Johnson?
Everyone has there own level of safety in the shop and using any machine The more you work at it the more confidence you get, as long as that confidence does not let one loose their respect for the machine From what you explained I don't see anything wrong in what he was doing, I sometimes watch what another in my shop is doing while running boards thru the machine I always have a sense of where the blade is and my hands are. I have never been known to be the safest person around but I do respect the machine and I have picked a few fights with the saw blade and once with the shaper, Yes I lost those fights but I can still go home every night and count to ten (Okay 9-7/8) without taking my shoes off.
I have told many that worked for me to not do what I do but do what I say.
Hear is a web site that will blow some of you away this saw has been around for several years that I know of, I have heard that the developers have tried to sell it to both Delta and Powermatic and neither company wants anything to do with it.
http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm
Enjoy George
in message

That is awesome !! I would consider buying one of their saws when I'm ready to move up from my Delta Contractor saw. Thanks for the Link.

Heres a thought How would you know that it is working other than using a hotdog, I wonder who has tryed to see if it actually works with a human finger My hand twitches just thinking about it Yeeeeeks

This was discussed at great length here twice during the last year or year and a half. Search Google for all the gory details.
I e-mailed SawStop and asked them if they had actually tested with a finger. The company president wrote back and said that he had, himself, stuck a finger in a blade. I told him he has bigger stones than I do.
Doug Miller wrote:

Bigger than mine too. When I was a kid, I had one of those toy microscopes. I wanted to see some blood, and I tried for an hour to prick my finger with a needle. Never could do it.
I'm not a crybaby. Hell, I cut my finger to the bone with a *backsaw*, threw a bandage on it, and finished what I was doing. Gouged myself good with a chisel too; same outcome.
The problem is all in the anticipation. No way I could stick my finger into a spinning saw blade on purpose.
Silvan wrote:

Aw hell, someday I'll show you the scar where I cut a stonefish spine outta my arm with a dive knife in shark infested waters. too bad it wasn't a sharp knife, woulda hurt less. And talk about anticipation, those sharks looked intersted. The stonefish tasted good though. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
George M. Kazaka wrote:

Go to the local prison and pick up a couple of child molesters. Less cruel than using rats.
ROTFLMAO But isn't that another thread ????

I found this article. http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00117.asp

I'm aware that the company is manufacturing there own saws It is not what there original Intention was, they were forced into it because they have had no takers. Go through there entire site they list all the companies manufacturing saws for the public to write to them for this feature. They are hoping that the all the folks purchasing saws will somehow have an effect on there decsion to utilize this feature. I am sure the lawyers are yelling don't touch it, what happens if say delta puts out a model with this feature and it fails and some sucker loose's a finger because he was being an idiot thinking he could not get hurt. In our I'm not responsible for my own actions society just think of the ramifications. ANd think of some employer that puts one in there shop and an emplyee gets hurt wow there will not be enough zeros on the settlement check
I really think that this is an awesome invention and may never see the market in a big way. This unit has been shown at all the industrial machinery shows and it draws big crowds and still employers are not looking for it
Time will surely tell

but
an
is
is
within
with
hand!
What you may have missed is the heated discussion on this forum in the past couple of years or so whereby this company tried to make an end run around the saw manufacturer's reluctance to incorporate the device by having the government mandate the use of the device on all new saws sold in the US.
I could be wrong, but judging from what I've read of your posts, you don't seem like the kind of guy who would want to be forced to use/buy the device by government edict, whether you wanted to or not.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

past
device
George M. Kazaka wrote:

I have to disagree. There are no such things as accidents.
An accident is something that can't be foreseen. I have yet to see a situation where the participants couldn't have seen the negative outcome.
The concept of 'accident' allows people the illusion they couldn't have done something to prevent or stop an action, it allows people to escape responsibility. It allows them to remain clueless.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Are you realy living in a Glass Bubble and have never had anything considered an Accident happen to You. Or don't you believe in Reality That is the most absurd statement I have ever heard "There are no such things as accidents" Its the cause of the accident that can have many differances.
In most accidents I know what i could have done to prevent it, I have cut both my thumbs on the table saw and to this day I cannot figure out what i did, At the time I was operating simple stuff and not pulling some shit that i have been known to do. That was over twelve years ago and to this day I cannot figure out what the hell happened I still will re-enact what i was doing in both instances to see what i could have done to cause the Mishap. About 3 or 4 years ago i took a swan dive off a ten foot ladder and again I do not know what the hell i did to cause the fall . Again I was not doing anything stupid that i am capable of doing.
Any other time I was either rushing or doing something stupid or not thinking. I know they were my fault and because i call them an accident does not mean i don't take the responsibility of my own actions.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:33:47 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

You got them too close to the blade. Come on, that wasn't that hard, was it?
George M. Kazaka wrote:

Keep making excuses.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

If you're talking woodworking stuff, that's one thing. One man, one machine, and the biggest unknown is what kind of tension might be locked up in that piece of wood.
If you're talking traffic accidents, it's not possible to anticipate every eventuality, and avoid every accident.
I've seen a lot of absolutely insane driving in seven years on the road, and I don't mean the usual, predictable, avoidable stupid people tricks.