Broken arbor wrench

Last weekend I broke the inner arbor wrench (the open-end one) for my Unisaw. Evidently these have been out of production for a number of years and have become near-unobtanium. In case anyone else does the same dumb thing, these people have them (I bought a second for a spare).

Item: 955-01-050-1472

Reply to
krw

And for all to think about - if needing a big wrench or odd size -

Talk to a CNC water or plasma guy and with good dimensions a nice one can be cut out.

I made a nice 2" unit and had small circles in the back corners to take the dirt when the wrench is pressed on. I wanted the back to fit tightly and not be displaced.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I must ask, how did that happen?

Reply to
Leon

Last time I used the saw, I left a dado set on it. It's been a year and it was rather stuck. The arbor nut was rather tight and I split out the corners of the wrench trying to get the nut unloose (kinda like Chuck Berry, but different ;-).

It seems the wrench is meant to split in the corners, perhaps to save the nut or arbor. I did get it off by wedging a hunk of wood in the blade but I didn't want to wreck the blade so didn't want to do that at first. The saw was purchased new five years ago, so I didn't consider that the wrenches would be hard to find. Of course the wrench for the new Unisaw doesn't fit the old (too thick).

Reply to
krw

Bummer.... You also might consider buying an inexpensive Harbor Freight or Northern Tool open end wrench and grinding the face to be narrower. I did this for out Kitchen Aid blender drive sprocket. The wrench had to be less than 1/8" thick.

Reply to
Leon

Just did exactly that last week. And also found the shaft had only two flats.

Reply to
G. Ross

yea, I'm curious too.

I thought Leon was a gorilla with the clamps. But you may have passed him... :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

;~) Since the arbor nuts are self tightening, during operation, you really don't have to tighten much. I suspect he had a bit of rust going on since it had sat up for a year.

Reply to
Leon

RE: Subject

Am I dating myself or do they still make tappet wrenches?

My father gave me a couple to work on my bike.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They kinda do. Sears will sell you a set of Craftsman brand for about

25 bucks. Snap-On will sell you individual "Low Torque Slimline" wrenches starting at about 40 bucks per wrench.
Reply to
J. Clarke

HF or NT will sell you a single wrench for about $2~6. Grind to your liking.

Reply to
Leon

It really didn't take all that much force. As I said, it looks like the wrench was made to fail as it did.

I did good, eh? ;-)

Reply to
krw

There might be a little rust but I can't seen any. I don't think it would have happened if it were a single blade.

Reply to
krw