Broken arbor wrench

Last weekend I broke the inner arbor wrench (the open-end one) for my Unisaw. Evidently these have been out of production for a number of years and have become near-unobtanium. In case anyone else does the same dumb thing, these people have them (I bought a second for a spare).
http://www.sawcenter.com/unisawparts.htm
Item: 955-01-050-1472
And for all to think about - if needing a big wrench or odd size -
Talk to a CNC water or plasma guy and with good dimensions a nice one can be cut out.
I made a nice 2" unit and had small circles in the back corners to take the dirt when the wrench is pressed on. I wanted the back to fit tightly and not be displaced.
Martin
On 8/23/2015 9:25 PM, krw wrote:

On 8/23/2015 9:25 PM, krw wrote:

I must ask, how did that happen?

Last time I used the saw, I left a dado set on it. It's been a year and it was rather stuck. The arbor nut was rather tight and I split out the corners of the wrench trying to get the nut unloose (kinda like Chuck Berry, but different ;-).
It seems the wrench is meant to split in the corners, perhaps to save the nut or arbor. I did get it off by wedging a hunk of wood in the blade but I didn't want to wreck the blade so didn't want to do that at first. The saw was purchased new five years ago, so I didn't consider that the wrenches would be hard to find. Of course the wrench for the new Unisaw doesn't fit the old (too thick).
On 8/24/2015 1:53 PM, krw wrote:

or Northern Tool open end wrench and grinding the face to be narrower. I did this for out Kitchen Aid blender drive sprocket. The wrench had to be less than 1/8" thick.
Leon wrote:

two flats.
--
GW Ross

RE: Subject
Am I dating myself or do they still make tappet wrenches?
My father gave me a couple to work on my bike.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

They kinda do. Sears will sell you a set of Craftsman brand for about 25 bucks. Snap-On will sell you individual "Low Torque Slimline" wrenches starting at about 40 bucks per wrench.
On 8/24/2015 5:29 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

HF or NT will sell you a single wrench for about $2~6. Grind to your liking.
On 8/24/2015 12:45 AM, Leon wrote:

I thought Leon was a gorilla with the clamps. But you may have passed him... :-)
--
Jeff

On 8/24/2015 3:59 PM, woodchucker wrote:

;~) Since the arbor nuts are self tightening, during operation, you really don't have to tighten much. I suspect he had a bit of rust going on since it had sat up for a year.

would have happened if it were a single blade.

It really didn't take all that much force. As I said, it looks like the wrench was made to fail as it did.

I did good, eh? ;-)