Permanent Arbor

I live in New England, specifically zone 5, 20 miles north of Boston. I currently have a cedar arbor up that has annuals (morning glories, sweet peas, etc.) growing over it - but it also has a trumpet creeper that, as of this year, is really starting to go nuts.

Typically I have the arbor staked down (I lost it to high wind once) but I still have to take it down for the winter and this will probably be the last year I can actually undo the trumpet creeper.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for permanent structure - should I look for steel or iron or another type of wood. I love the cedar one I have, but tried to keep it up last winter - despite having it staked it still blew over and ripped most of the trumpet vine off w/it - I thought it was doomed, but luckily it's coming back wonderfully.

Any suggestions? What do you guys have for permanent structures?

Thanks LeeAnne

Reply to
LeeAnne

4x4 supports, embedded in concrete -- just like a fence. Cedar is fine. Just treat it like a permanent structure, and not something just sitting there "staked down".
Reply to
Warren

I live in zone 5 too. My husband puts all of our trellis's in concrete. He puts a bolt in the bottom before placing it. Making sure it is level is the trickiest part. They stay great. Susie

Reply to
<nvanco

Unfortunately the location doesn't allow for me to pour concrete :-( It's a staircase and there are plantings on either side that I'm going to have growing up the arbor.

Any way for me to bolt or attach to an already existing piece of concrete? The arbor is at the top of this existing cement staircase.

Maybe I can hammer/chisel out some existing concrete and pour some fresh to bolt it in there.

Reply to
LeeAnne

go to a hardware store and tell them what you are trying to do. They should be able to tell you how big a hole you need to drill and set you up with the proper size anchors and bolts. Much easier and neater than chipping out concrete.

Reply to
ronm