New Shop Dog

About 10 days ago was standing outside the shop shed and a brown dog came up. She was licking the sprinkler drops off the grass, and acted extremely friendly. I got a container and gave her some water and she drank about a quart. Then I gave her some dog snacks and she ate that and left. Next morning she returned. While petting her I found that under her curly hair she was just a skeleton, and that she was nursing pups. I went and bought a bag of kibbles, found an old frying pan and filled it level full. She ate all this, drank some more water and burped. Her tag said "Maverick" and a phone number--which had been disconnected. So she adopted me. And she eats like a BIL. Such a loving dog. I named her Curly. I thought she was part cocker spaniel, but when I took her to the vet for her shots he said she was a full-blooded Boykin Spaniel. They are bred for water-fowl hunting and have webbed feet. And she does. Never heard of such. She does not mind the machinery noise in the shop, but after about 2 hours she starts getting restless and soon disappears for an hour or so. Feeding her pups I guess. I don't know where she has them hidden. When they are weaned I will have her splayed and treated for the heart worms which she has.

Reply to
G. Ross

Should have been "spayed". Damn spell checker!

Reply to
G. Ross

So we assumed. Seems like to nice a dog to filet! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If a dog already has heart worms, treatment is not easy. Hats off to you.

Reply to
Michael

Michael was heard to mutter:

True. At least there is a treatment for heartworms for dogs. There is no treatment yet for heartworms for cats.

Reply to
Casper

I think that's a lovely tale (tail?) A few years back I had the pleasure of living with a Newfoundland. Named Baloo. As an adult he weighed in at about 140 pounds, even though he was always very skinny beneath his massive double coat. A water dog with webbed feet and blue tongue. Baloo did not ever like the water. Perhaps the UK water was not to his taste. As a youngster we took him to the sea in Devon one evening and tried to encourage him to have a paddle. He would have none of it and just lay on the beach. There were some anglers fishing at the water line. One got his cast wrong and snagged Baloo. No damage, hook tangled up in his fur. The next bloke along shouted "Hey Fred, you've caught a dogfish". A lovely gentle dog, despite his size. The breed is sometimes known as the gentle giant. Brilliant with our young kids and would frequently try to cure the battle wounds of our two cats by licking them with his somewhat antiseptic blue tongue. He finally succumbed to cancer at 12yo. I miss the old boy greatly.

I wish you all good luck with Curly and poss. her littluns.

Nick. England

Reply to
Nick