Branding irons

Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for woodworkers?

Anyone know of a source for the heating wand only? It looks like the "brand" is made of brass or something, and being a machinist, I thought I could come up with a unique brand for myself (The iron, not on me!)

John

Reply to
John T

Bronze man, BRONZE!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Woodcraft website says 125 watts.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I was looking for one of these recently too. Rockler has one now on sale for $70. I also found a $36 one at

for "branding")

HTH Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Lee Valley Tools has a few models, electric and non-electric. They come with lettering of your choice, but you could probably buy one without lettering if you desired.

?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=32191&category=1,43456,43462

Reply to
Upscale

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:49:51 -0600, John T calmly ranted:

How big is your brand?

shows them using a Weller 80 watt iron for their mini-brands. I recently picked up a

100w import iron for stained glass work which would probably work as a base. It was $18.95 + $6.95 s/h on Ebay. She has been using the Choice brand for years in teaching stained glass classes and has never had a problem with them. They're a nice iron. TIG your brand onto the standard insert tip and go. Tips aren't replaceable, they're part of the insert, so buy a different iron for each brand. They're cheap enough at that price.

is the direct link, and Donna is great to work with. (Say Hi! for me.)

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:47:23 -0800, Larry Jaques calmly ranted:

Oops, I meant Joyce. (I got the temp controller from Donna.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

John, an interesting alternative is to get your distinct logo (etc) laser engraved into a wooden disk that you then mount or inset into your finished piece. There is a place here in NC who will engrave any pattern you can produce on a PC and provide the disks in practically any species you want. They are quite accommodating and surprisingly inexpensive.

If you're interested let me know - I'll have to dig up their contact info.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

This didn't seem to post yesterday so here it is again.

Reply to
Wood Butcher

My son and daughter in law just got me one of the Lee Valley ones for Christmas it's marked 125 watts. Works real nice except on oak, the outside edges seem a little cooler and it doesn't always brand the wood as well.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Fri, Dec 24, 2004, 9:49pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@charter-for-hire.net (John=A0T) Anyone know what the wattage is of the average branding iron offered for woodworkers?

Nope. Be easy enough to make a branding iron, but, unless I planned on using it on a lot of stuff at one time, I'd just heat it with a torch.

JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

John T - Matter of fact, the 'Crafts' catalogs that sell the branding irons offer the choice of electric or 'manual'.

At first I thought you would have to keep them in a fire - like they do at Williamsburg. Then I read an article about making your own, and they used a torch {a la JT's suggestion}. In fact, that way you could make sure the ENTIRE surface was heated properly and get an even imprint.

Ron Magen

That's cool, thanks for that note...!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I have and use several branding irons and would make the following recommendations, Make sure the shaft is screwed into the head and then pined to the head. The head is made of bronze and deep cut not shallow cut. The shaft is over 10" in length. I have had irons made by a company called "New Brand" that did not meet all of these specks and the head fell off the shaft when it got hot. Soldering the head to the shaft just does not hold up. When I brand I usually do 50 or more items at a time and find that propane works very well for that, under ten items and propane is a pain but does work well. heating time from cold to red hot is from 5 to 10 mins depending on the iron, and the iron needs to be reheated every 6 to 10 items for about 2 to 3 mins with propane. The irons I use range in price for $30 to $250 if that helps.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust