I Need a Right Tilt Unisaw Motor Cover

I have a right tilt unisaw, 1987, and am need of a motor cover.

If anyone has one laying around, or feels that don't need the one they have now, I would be happy to have it.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Big John

Jim Behning

I need to check, but I think these pricey motors on the Unisaws are TEFC and do not need ventilation for cooling.

I think I will build my own motor cover. I have a huge surplus of

3/4" plywood.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Big John

Akchoolee, you don't want also to be passing the same warm air over the motor. Warmness to a motor is what makes the bearings not last as long and will lead to the eventual escapement of the magic smoke and we all know what happens when the magic smoke gets out.

And 'sides, what Jim was getting at was that the vent holes bring in "make up" air near the motor and keep it clean, and I might also add, cooler.

I would suggest some Bondo and a nice coating of Dark Machinery Gray when it's all over. Done right the saw's own mother won't know it's a ho-made.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

TEFC means Totally Enclosed FAN Cooled. You still want to move the air so it does not become too hot inside the enclosure. Sure, a three minute run time in a 50 degree shop is certainly not a problem, but an hour at 95 degrees can give quite a temperature rise in the enclosure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The ventless cover I made at the shop worked fine because that saw was rarely used more than a few minutes. So I thought. When I removed the cover I saw all the dust that had settled arond the motor. The suggestion for vents was twofold. The factory cover has them. At least a few I saw. Second was to get some air swirling around when the vacuum system is running to draw the dust away from the motor. UA100 mentions the best reason which is to help keep the motor cool.

I noticed that some of the covers have a beveled or angled bottom. Dust may be able to slide off of the angle bottom? My saw had a shelf >Big John wrote:

Reply to
Jim Behning