Brad or finish nailer

I know this question has been asked many times but my story is... I need to install about 200 sf of the top-nailed (older style, not the tong & groove type) red oak hardwood floor. We were thinking to use just hammers to do that, but it took us 2 days to install 50 sf in the kitchen, with nail head yet to be sunk. So we decide to get a nail gun for the rest of the job. Now the wood strip is 2" wide and 5/16" thick oak, should I use 18 gauge brad nailer with 1" nail? Or should I go for a 16 gauge finish nailer with 1" nail? Thanks in advance,

I don't know if the 16 ga is best, but I do know the 18 ga brad is wrong. Brads are for tacking things in place, not for long term securing of things like floors. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
From my very limited experience with this, I would not count on a 1 inch brad nail (regardless of 16/18) holding a non t/g floor. I think that I would use at least a 6 or 8 penny finish nail and take another 6+ days to do it or get a 2+ inch power nailer.
My limited 2.
Lou

On 2 Aug 2004 15:49:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Larry Guan) wrote:

There is a specialized nailer for wood floors. You hit it with a hammer and the nail is driven into the edge of the hardwood flooring. You can likely rent one.
Thunder

that's for tongue and groove. he's face nailing neat-edged flooring.
Rolling Thunder responds:

AFAIK, those floor nailers work ONLY with t&g, which the OP said he did not have.
Personally, I'd go for the thicker nail at least 1-1/2" long.
Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny
You need a face flooring nailer:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/pora/404.htm?L+coastest+rthw9498ff71b671+1091553277
I think you can get a face-nail shoe for one of their angled nailers.
FWIW, if you have to use finish nails I would use 15g (not 16 or 18). You want something that will hold, that's for sure. Your best bet is a face nailer that shoots those barbed flooring cleats, though.

No brad nail or finish nails for flooring...
Use the correct tool and nails...
http://www.porta-nails.com/nailer/index.shtml
These can be rented at most rental centers and you need the "face nailer" model.
Larry Guan wrote:

There will never be a brad or brad nailer that will penetrate with every hit into oak. If you feel you must face nail, then go with a 15 ga. nailer. 16 will probably do the job, but you have to remember, this is OAK>