Bracket Hardware from Lee Valley

I guess that rules out professional sports...

Reply to
Bill

Hell, I even noticed some "Pennzoil" stickers plastered all over some of the cars! Ugly! ;-)

How dare they make *money*!

Reply to
krw

Similar "greed" at the source of both, no? Look at what the Internet has become between the 1990s and now. It's almost like walking downtown in NYC. I think that our "Inalienable Rights" might be updated to include some "protection from marketers". I find it a new source of "pollution". That you have currently found a good way to "hide" does not, to my mind, eliminate the societal problem. YMMV.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I agree that excessive advertising can be a form of pollution. I went to a minor league ballgame where they were showing a commercial on the scoreboard with the sound piped all through the ballpark. You can't get away from it.

The only way to get rid of some of this advertising is to be proactive in avoiding and complaining about it. Close websites that require you to click through/off an ad before viewing the page, take points off of reviews for obnoxious advertising. Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes. I once paid $20 for an "ad filter" for IE that did the same thing that FireFox now does (for free). I considered it a well-spent $20 at the time. Like you said, and as with electricity, it would be better to deal with the problem closer to the source.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Now that we have the general background layed out. Imagine B*** sitting down at his computer, to "get away from it all, or whatever", opening up his newsgroup reader, and reading in the first (actually second) message:

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

You can't make that stuff up!

Reply to
Bill

Absolutely *NOT*. You morally equate feeding one's family by running a grocery store with poisoning your neighbors for political gain. That, sir, is called "Moral Relativity" at its finest!

Hmm, in 1990 it was a toy. I can really make use of it now, and do.

You aren't adult enough to control yourself? You need government to infringe on other's rights, just to make your life worth living? Sad.

*Really* sad!

Reply to
krw

Really? Why? I don't choose to be offended by professional sports. They can do whatever they want and pay whatever they want (it's not my money). I ignore what I don't like and if it gets so overwhelming that it's no longer worth the whole package, I don't watch. Professional basketball got to that point decades back (and it has nothing to do with ads).

Reply to
krw

Yes. I can more than control myself. I don't have control over my environment, unless I choose to stay home and stay of the roads. If elected, I would make others respect the rights of others for a better environment. Almost always, where there is a conflict between man and nature, nature loses. I would try to change that. My values comes before my pocketbook and I have the documentation to prove it.

Reply to
Bill

Why are you so preoccupied with money? I would not have let the Superbowl happen last year. It would be nice if the NFL had ideals like the PGA. You make a mistake on your scorecard and you lose . It would have set a nice example for the kids.

Reply to
Bill

Imagine L*** sitting down at his computer, to get away from it all, or whatever, opening up his newsgroup reader, and reading 'B***'*" posts and them still being totally OT with hardly ever anything related to woodworking.

You can't make that up.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not really thinking so much about me. I'm think what it will be like for people a generation or two down the road. We need to plant more trees, literally and spiritually. And by spiritually, I don't necessarily mean religion--I mean we need to quit teaching kids to shoot other people with guns. Watch the news. That said, I think more guns among law-abiding people would be better than fewer guns.

Reply to
Bill
< snips >

Some fun images - scrolling down into this blog -

I was searching for the old pic with the baby all plastered with adverts - found a similar pic there An early post in this thread made me laugh - Indy/Penzoil -

- hah - motor sports must be the poster-boy for advertising ! for many many years. Some other sports were slow-to-the-game - I remember the complaints when we followed the Europeans and plastered adverts on the boards of the hockey rinks .. resistance is futile. John T.

hubops

Well, at least we've come full circle to where you may truly understand my first post to this thread. People seem to be in a policitically-minded mood. Perhaps its related to the Iowa caucuses. I Really like the Lee Valley catalog. And I like they way they tastefully send out a version several times a year, instead of emailing me perhaps twice a week like Rockler does. Even Harbor Freight uses a little restraint. CPO-Woodworking not so much.

Reply to
Bill

On 2/2/2016 8:01 AM, Bill wrote: Snip

There are bigger problems that what you consider to be a problem. You can't change human nature. If you were elected I suspect you would not be handling real issues if you focused your time on trying to make people respect each other.

Reply to
Leon

Enjoyed the page; read the whole thing. It expressed many of my thoughts which I have been espousing yesterday and today. It didn't seem very encouraging. I prefer to be hopeful (part of human nature, I think).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How about making corporations respect people? Maybe we need to give "corporate entities" some limits and guidelines. A received a notice from the bank today, a big bank, New Rule: Discrepancies concerning deposit slips may or may not be corrected, at the banks discretion, if the discrepancy is less than $10. Someone must have stayed up all night thinking of that new profit generating idea... I wonder which ones they will correct? Too much to ask for a bank to have to put the customer's money into his or her account?

Reply to
Bill

I decided to be "proactive" and tried to contact the bank. No email access. The phone number didn't allow me to connect with a customer representative. Happy day. I will strive to make a point of sharing my opinions about this one way or another. Maybe our motto should be: People have rights too! The "customer agreements" get longer every year. So long, that it's not practical to even read most of them. I do not think the new policy will help make the world a better place. Maybe I'll short them $5 on my next deposit, and see whether they correct it or not... : )

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Actually, no. The race you speak of has only been called the Indianapolis 500 since 1981 (usually "the Indianapolis

500 presented by Firestone" or something like that on TV). Prior to 1981 it was officially called the International Sweepstakes (sometimes the International 500 Mile Sweepstakes).

Amoung auto racing folk, it's just called the 500.

John

(recognizing that that's irrelevant to Bill's point, but we may as well be accurate)

Reply to
John McCoy

Corporations generally have a right to do business as they see fit ... or in a manner, no matter how stupid or ill advised, that they can get away.

The customer only has a right to take their business elsewhere, so far.

The problem, as you are experiencing, starts soon after you get government involvement.

Works briefly in your favor, then you idiots allow your elected representatives to sell you out and you eventually get the phenomenon know as "regulatory capture" ... always to the detriment of the consumer.

The banking and investment industry are perfect examples, as well as cable and internet providers.

Reply to
Swingman