book on windsor chair making

Does anyone have a copy of Michael Dunbar's book about making windsor chairs that they would be willing to sell to a fellow woodworker? GCS
On 10 Apr 2004 01:54:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RESPITE95) brought forth from the murky depths:

Hayseuss H. Crikey! I can't believe what happened to the price of those copies! <thud>
G'luck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Just had a look on Amazon (.co.uk variety) - 240 GBP for a used paperback copy!! Think I'll hang on to mine for a while yet...
You might want to have a look at this one instead:
http://www.booksunderreview.com/Business/Consumer_Goods_and_Services/Office_Products/Furniture/Chairs /
Best of luck,
Frank

chairs
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:33:58 +0000 (UTC), "Frank McVey"

Maybe we should all get on Taunton's arse to reprint the "Windsor Chairmaking" and a few other titles, like "Making and Modifying Machines". Some bozo on Amazon wants $99 for one.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
brought forth from the murky depths:

For what I heard from Michael Dunbar, do not think they will re-print the book on Windsor chairmaking. According to Michael his two biggest regrets of life is his first marriage and writing that book! A few things that are written in the book, Michael has changed his ways of doing.
Good luck, Mike
On 10 Apr 2004 01:54:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RESPITE95) wrote:

Nope.
There are better books around on Windsor chair making. Dunbar's isn't too bad on some aspects of amercian chairs, but it's ot the book to look at if you want to make your own. IMHO, I don't know a good US book on windsor chair making (Has Brian Boggs done one ? That would be worth a look) and I'd look at UK books instead.
OTOH, windsor chair books seem to be hand-printed by elves in a print run of a couple of dozen. Same for most green woodworking books. Damn things sell out as soon as they hit the shelves, and there can't be that many people buying them.
--
Smert' spamionam

Dunbars, Windsor Chairmaking seems to be getting a fairly high price. Why I don't know, because it seems to have content of no value IMHO. I'm thinking he wrote the book when he knew very little about chairs.
His book, Make a Windsor Chair with Michael Dunbar is a good book. Sure he doesn't recommend some of the techniques in it anymore, but there's really only a few places it falls short. I made a very nice chair with it. The book has plans for a continuous armchair and a sackback. The c-arm may be a pinch on the small size but is beautifully styled. Sure it would be nice if he made an up to date book, but that may cut into the classes he teaches? The plans from the book are nice(style). The technique is short...but useful.
The sackback is beautiful too, and many chairmakers today may be making and selling that exact chair.
Drew Langsners book is more complete, but I don't think the c-arm is as atractive as Mikes, but thats just personal opinion. Drews books is more up to date with joinery IMO.
John Kassays book had a few different plans but nothing on building technique.
RESPITE95 wrote:

chairs
Dunno about Dunbar's book, given the comments. John Bentley (sp?) from the UK has one out as well on Welsh chairs, and they are very similar. Maybe that's an option? Certainly cheaper, last time I looked.