??? making windsor chairs

Hi,

My brother has it in mind to take a class and learn to make Windsor chairs. He is pretty good at making things with wood--doing a lot of bee hives lately if anyone needs any--and has the equipment he'll need. But the class costs about $600 for two days I believe. Jeez! Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do? Anyone want to give him a course for less? :-) What I'm really interested in is: are there any good videos available about it? And/or good books? For some reason he wants to get a book by a particular man Michael Dunbar, but so far the only ones I've been able to find by him cost about $80.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on how best he can learn to do this!

David snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Reply to
dh_ld

You didn't mention whose class he wants to attend. It may very well be worth it. Would you spend $600 for two days with Maloof?

I think Dunbar's book is out of print and in great demand. There was a string recently that indicated they were going for more than $80.

Norm has two programs dedicated to making a Windsor chair. American Woodshop (Scott Phillips) has done two different programs on Windsor chairs.

The Houston Woodcraft store conducts sessions on Windsor chairs from time to time.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

That sounds more like a seminar, which means it might be well worth the money, depending on who's giving it, the info packs provided, and how well it fits with your bro's wallet, background and interests. Seminars are often one of a kind specialties and sometimes offer a deep immersion into a subject that you may not have experience with.

Pop

make

is:

Reply to
Pop Rivet

I took my class from a chairmaker named Greg Long in Houston, TX. It was a 5-day class, 8-hrs/day, and you made a sackback chair. I think it cost me $500 a few years ago. You did everything except the turnings (legs, stretchers, etc). After the class I was able to go home, and subsequently made another sackback and 6 more side chairs. I was pretty lucky because I was the only one in my class at the time. The last email address I have for Greg is: snipped-for-privacy@gte.net

Reply to
GrayFox

Not if I didn't already know who Maloof was. As a tutor for beginning chairmakers, I'm not sure that he would really have much to offer over anyone else.

If you can find a UK book in your locality, try Mike Abbott's books on green woodworking or Windsors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Come on Andy,

I know the Smithsonian is not of importance to our cousins across the ocean, but the man has his work in the Smithsonian. And to us colonists, it is a big deal. :-) Not many of us end up in the museum while we are still breathing.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Dear David:

I invite you to take a look at my web site:

I am perhaps a bit bias, but I believe we have one of the finest Windsor chair classes here in the United States. My instructor, Blaine Berry, has been to just about all of the Windsor chair classes and schools in the country. We have taken the best things about each school and combined them into a fine class. We build a chair that is not painted using a butternut seat, cherry legs, and oak spindles and back. We offer a five day class in which every student will finish and apply a finish to their chairtaking home a completed chair. We furnish all the tools needed, breakfast, lunch, and a dinner on Thrsday nights. We have a guest house 100yds from the school and have a very beautiful setting for you to spend time. If you have any questions or if I can address any concerns please give me an email at snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com

thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

If this is not an option, (this school is not far from where we live) you might consider a woodworking class in a College or Junior College in your area. That is what our son did, perhaps the first one will not be up to what you would like but with the cost of most schools, you can buy a dozen chairs. Bee Hives to Windsor chairs? Shees.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

build and complete a chair.... do not see how you could build a chair in two days ...must be just lecture-demo...We start with a log and split out our parts, carve out our own seats, turn the legs, bend the back, and assemble our chairs with hand tools. This is an aggressive class for just 5 days, but so far every student has left with a completed fine chair, plus the knowledge to build more. Our insturtor shares his jigs and fixtures and all the secrets to build a chair on your own. Michael Dunbar has been quoted to say that his two biggest mistakes in life was his first marriage and writing the book on building Windsor chairs. Dunbar reports that the printers chopped alot out of the book and it would be very difficult to build a chair using the book alone. Our class sells for $850.00 for the week, includes all your wood and tools, breakfast & lunch each day and dinner on Thursday. If you have any questions or concerns I would glad to answer them.

Good luck. Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

Maloof ran some courses at highland hardware where one of his mostly completed chairs still resides . I have sat in that very chair many times and am astounded how ergonomically inefficient it is . Sorry design in my opinion....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Tell that to the bodgers in the Berkshire woods using pole lathes, thats would have been a years salary. Only in America... mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

I've never sat in one of his chairs, so I can't comment on its ergonomics. He did come up with a design that is very much copied and imitated today. I respect it for what it is, but I would never copy his style, because it is copied so much.

George Nakashima's (rip) is readily recognizable, but I'm not terrible taken with his chair that is so famous. His "New Chairs" design looks pretty good to me (as does Thomas Moser's chairs).

I'm just a duffer, so I can't really argue with the stars in this group, but just about every one knows who Maloof, Krenov, and Frid are. Most of us recognize the work of Nakashima and also the Green brothers.

Yes, I'd pay to see Maloof.

I'm going to the Brazos Rocker class at Homestead Heritage in June and It's costing me a lot more that the $600 class that started this string. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Sure, and if you're a skilled chairmaker then you're going to be lucky to see maloof in action.

But as a beginner, are you really going to appreciate the distinction?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Most Bodgers never made a complete chair, they just made parts that was sold to a chairmaker. Our instructor Blaine Berry is over 30 chairs behind and he sells his chairs for $850.00 and his settee for $1500.00 He can not keep up with his orders, most customers are willing to wait over a year to own one of his chairs. I believe that his prices are in line for a hand made quality piece of furniture. His chairs are beautiful to look at and very comfortable to seat upon. Blaine brings much knowledge and shares his skills and methods as a chairmaker as well. Building a chair is hard work and takes a lot of talent: Do not begrudge a man his worth.

Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

are there any good videos available about it? And/or

I have a brandnew book here: Make a windsorchair with Michael Dunbar I do ladderbackchairs, that's why I never used it. What's a reasonable price?

snipped-for-privacy@xs4all.nl

Reply to
kees