board feet

People often have problems understanding what a "board foot" is. It's not a linear distance, despite the term "foot" in it. Yes, we all know its 144 cubic inches, that doesn't always help people understand it's a volume measure.
Today I went off on a tangent and came up with a new way of describing "board feet" to newbies.
It's just over half a gallon of tree (~5/8 gal)
Next time you're trying to describe "board feet" to someone and they're not getting it, try that and see if it helps.
DJ
DJ Delorie wrote:

Or you could tell them that it's about a fortieth of a cubic cubit. Or a fourth of a peck. Or a sixteenth of a bushel.

remembering that it is a measure of volume, 1x1 ft by whatever number of linear feet, but I don't think it has to be a square foot in cross section. Just like liters don't have to be 10x10 cm in cross section by some number of decimeters high. (Yes, I grew up decimal).
--
Best regards
Han

Oops I was wrong again, board feet are 12 inch wide by 1 inch thick by whatever number of feet long. Not 1x1 ft by whatever number of feet long. Sorry!
--
Best regards
Han

Or, a cube of wood that is 5.25" across, high, and deep.

That's just plain foolish. Translate that to the number of 6 packs and you'll have something that will make a lot more sense.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You may have something there.
I'll take 388 beers of cherry and 125 beers of poplar, please.
For Andy D., that would be 291 and 93.75, based on pints! <G>

Considering what wood costs these days, it often comes down to a choice of wood OR beer.

Did you hear about the hop shortage?
<http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/whatsontap/archives/123826.asp
Damn!
wrote in message

That'll be enough of that talk Mister. Woodies and beer always went hand in hand. That's how all the ugly women got to feel good at closing time. Oh - wait - you said "wood" or beer. Sorry, my bad...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Here in California we have an airhead legislator who is attempting to legislate morality by trying to get a law passed to levy an additional $030/12 OZ can tax.
Don't hold your breath.
Have noticed that a 12 pack has gone from $9.00 to $12.00 in less than a month.
Wonder if that is the brewer's "fuel surtax charge"?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Everything with grain in it is going up. It's part of the feel-good "alternate fuels" plan. Instead of drilling in ANWR, off-shore, the North Dakota oil fields, or in various other areas of the country in which significant oil reserves exist, we are taking what should be food, converting it to fuel with a fairly low efficiency rate and proclaiming ourselves "green".
We don't have an oil shortage, we have an intelligence shortage.

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
when I get board feet my legs fall to sleep. ross