Blade burning problem

Hi -
I have a 14" closed-base Jet bs (bought a few years ago), cool blocks, no riser. Pulley belt is properly tensioned. I have a 1/2" (6 tpi I think) Suffolk blade. I have no idea how much wood I've cut with the blade but haven't used the saw for a number of months and don't remember if this has been a problem before - very strong burnt wood smell when cutting. Doesn't matter if it's 3" maple, 1" walnut, 3/4" birch ply. I could be wrong but I think I have to be cutting something for at least an inch or so before the burning wood smell starts.
I thought maybe the blade needed a good cleaning so gave it a couple apps of cleaning spray (the stuff you'd use on router bits). Still smell burning wood. I cut no slower than I ever have; tried speeding up some but doesn't seem to help.
So I took it off and put on the blade Jet includes with the saw which I've only used a couple times. Same problem. So I'm guessing it's a feed rate problem but AFAICT I'm cutting no more slowly than I ever have. The Jet blade's tips definitely feel sharper than the Suffolk's (so I don't know if that means it's time to replace the Suffolk). Besides feeding too slow, what else would cause the burning wood smell? Just a dull blade? Or could there be some sort of adjustment problem? Also, is there some visual test for a blade that's worn out (besides no teeth)?
Mike
--

mikeballard at symbol verizon period net

"If your main parachute fouls, deploy your reserve. If your reserve is
Hi Mike, Sounds like a dull blade. Do you have kids, especially sons? All it takes is a second of cutting a nail and the blade is .....well, it burns wood. Dave

On Tue May 25, Dave W disturbed my nap when he said:

(nope, I'm the only kid around here). Thanks all.
Are Suffolk still the bs blade of choice? I browsed a FWW article recently although not in-depth but put more stock in what people are consistently getting value from over the long haul.
Mike
--

mikeballard at symbol verizon period net

"If your main parachute fouls, deploy your reserve. If your

Ditto.
Mine was 3tpi from Suffolk.

I happened to have a 1/2" WoodSlicer available, when I was having trouble. Things improved greatly with a new blade. Dunno what to expect on BS blade life either, but cutting got substantially easier when I swapped in a new blade.

No its the smell check. If it smells burnt than your blade is. lol.
Actually if your factory Jet blade is sharper than your suffolk blade than suffolk forgot to put teeth on their blade!
All in fun!
Rich
Its not unusual for a bandsaw blade to go from sharp to dull very quickly. As they get dull they heat up and the heat finishes the job. The Jet rep I deal with recommends Timberwolf blades.

Mike Ballard wrote:

Are you making a straight cut or cutting a radius? If it's a radius is perhaps the 1/2" blade too wide for the radius being cut, where the back of the blade is binding in the kerf?