Bit The Bullet Today

After stumbling last week through a simple curve in 1/2" plywood with my old POS Black & Decker jigsaw, I decided to get some new blades. What do you know: the universal type blades have become difficult to find (though not impossible). I chose to use this fact as the excuse to upgrade: I picked up a new Bosch 1590EVSK today from the Borg for $169.
When I got it home, I sliced through some more of that same 1/2" plywood like it wasn't there. So I picked up a 1.5" piece of red oak and sliced through that like it was that thin plywood. WOW!
They say the only time you're happy with a cheap tool is the day you pay for it. I think I'm going to be happy with this Bosch for a long time to come.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

like it

that
Good to know. I have a POS saw that is rearely used. Of course, that is because it is a POS so I try to find other ways to do things. The Bosch is on my "someday" list of things to aquire. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Good buy. After reading here all these stores about cheap tools, I decided this time to skip the step of buying chip jig saw and bought Bosch right away. Just as they say "thrifty person pays twice". :)
-- Dmitri Priimak
The Bosch 1590EVSK seems very nice. However, I sure do like the "feel" of the Makita 4340FCT. Anybody have any comparisons of the two? I hope to buy one of these in a week or two.......

I have the Makita and like it very much. Bosch also makes good tools. I just have no experience with their 1590.
RB
Never Enough Money wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

The second power tool I bought many years ago was a Bosch jigsaw--after struggling with the $10 crap that my father tossed a couple of times a year I spent what was then a ludicrous amount of money on it but I was sick of struggling with those crummy toy saws. Turned out I didn't use it all that much for a long time because at the time blades were hard to find, but it cuts everything I throw at it up to the limits of its blade length and with the right blades the quality of the cut is unbelievable.
Suggestion--get one pack of each kind of blade that looks like it _might_ be useful to you and play with them--there's a wider variation in cutting speed and quality of cut than you would expect if your experience has been with other brands.
--
--John
Yep, one of the best tools I have. I'm not sure why it works so well, even without the orbital motion turned on. The blades are better, but they don't work near as well in the POS as in the Bosch. I put curves on the last foot of some rafter tails made from rough 2" yaller pine..effortless! Wilson

Regarding jig saw comparisons:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review118656.html
Even though the picture is a Bosch 1590EVSK, the text considers several others, including the Makita 4340FCT. Not sure I agree with all reviewers comments but it's the best comparison I've seen so far....
BTW, Amazon gives the Makita 4340FCT more stars than the Bosch 1590EVSK. However, I've learned a long tiem ago that Amazon rankings are a bit... well, inaccurate....

Um... I looked at the review by someone that does not have his facts straight and noticed that he mentioned that the Milwaukee was made by Bosch. That is wrong. The Milwaukee is German made by AEG. I wonder what else is wrong with the review. LOL
I see you got the one with the "Really" quick blade change feature. You should love it and I think you will find yourself using it more often in a variety of applications since the blade changes out sooooo quickly and easily.
Be sure to also use Bosch blades. Steer clear of DeWalt blades.
I too BTB (bit the bullet) for the BOSCH last week. Its a wood monster. However, when cutting curves in 3/4" black walnut, the cut is not square and tended to "bevel". How does one preventthis??
-- KB

and
The thicker the material, the more likely the blade will deflect in curves. But, are you using Bosch blades?

I was gonna start a new thread on this ... I've had this problem for 40 years - no matter what the brand saw. There's gotta be a technique. Let's hope some answers show up here.

pay better attention. you can get square curves in thick materials if you don't "oversteer" and apply side pressure on the blade.

You may still be using a holdover of the technique that you used when you were using a cheap saw. Cheap saws encourage you to push them. Good saws work better if gently guided.
If you let the saw do the work, rather than push it through the work too hard, you will get better results. Also, try using a blade with a bit more set in it. I see lots of guys try to make cuts with fine toothed, minimal set blades, when they would be better off with a few less teeth, and a bit more set.
I would only use the Bosch blades and I would use either the second or third position setting that controls the motion of the cut. I only use the straight up and down setting when cutting metal.
Start the speed in the middle, or a bit to the slow side of the middle, and adjust it to suit the feedback that you get from the material.
If you get in trouble on a curved cut, and it starts to bevel on you - stop the saw and back up a little bit - restarting the cut in an area where you were still cutting straight. Take the cut very slowly until both sides of the blade are cutting the new line.
Good luck.
Regards, Tom.
Bosch makes a lot of different blades. Look closely at the selection. I had to ask a salesperson at (the now defunct) WWW to clarify the differences. One type of blade is a bit thicker than the rest and is made to specifically combat this problem. Make sure you have the "thick kerf" blade. It's not called that but they have a series if something like five icons on the packaging that refer to speed of cut, smoothness of cut, material type/thickness etc.
Someone use mentioned technique. I agree. with the new blade you should barely have to push.
I have the older Bosch. Even if it takes me 20 seconds rather than 2 to change a blade, it's still a great tool.
-Steve

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote...

old POS

know: the

impossible). I

Good to know. I have an old POS Makita that recently died on me so I am in the market too.
--
Cheers,
Howard

I don't know of any hand power tool that "improves" so much when going from a cheap one (ala B&D) to a good one (like t he Bosch) as a jig saw. The difference is amazing.
_____ "How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise and of good will." Albert Einstein _____
Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis Delete the two "spam"s for email
That saw is one of my most favourite tools. It's a pleasure to use. Enjoy. Mikey