Big box joints in laminate

I posted a cpl of piccies in ABPW. So those of you lucky enough to have access, go see them, I think it is a creative idea. That 'look' could also be done with veneer.
00
Rob
Interesting! Do you work with laminate on a regular basis? Seems like anyone wanting to try this would be advised to first practice up on their laminate inlay technique. Any particular reason you chose a box joint look as opposed to say a dovetail joint look? Earl Creel

Earl, I wish I could take credit for the idea, but it is not my work. I have, however, enough laminating expertise to do a job like that. You are right, it is not a job for the squeemish. Those inside square corners are begging to tear. I probably would be inclined to do a dove tail. I would use veneer though, laminate versions of woodgrain are not my first choice, although they have improved a lot over the last 5 years or so. I have always been a fan of marquetry and trompe d'oeil.
http://www.sdgallery.com/catalogs/green/2002/gallery.htm http://us.st8.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/woodstore_1824_7382869
Illusion marquetry can be fascinating.
00
Rob

When I looked very closely at the photo, it seemed that the table has been laminated in strips of wood-like laminate -- so, there are/would be no inside corners. -- Igor