best way:

Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?

Sal

Reply to
sal

Better than what??? :)

How large of pieces????

Reply to
dpb

What are you cutting them with square with? If it's a tablesaw, then cutting them square and cutting the 45° angle all on the tablesaw is the easiest, fastest and most exact method.

If you're cutting with a circular saw, then I'd still want to make the square and 45° cuts with that too.

Trimming plywood with a router bit is messy and prone to mistakes.

Reply to
Dave

Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade at a

45degree)

Sal

Reply to
sal

Cut it all on the tablesaw, no matter with size the panels are.

Reply to
Dave

Yep... and I agree about the router.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Cutting on the table saw is gooder.

BUT:

Don't depend on the saw's angle protractor. Get yourself an inclinometer to get the blade to 45d precisely.

Reply to
HeyBub

"sal" wrote in news:sHDWr.2115$% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

Table saw. Definitely.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"HeyBub" wrote in news:J6edndxpwJo0ibbNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Pfffft. Unnecessary expense. Set up the table saw accurately to begin with. Then make a few test cuts in scrap to verify.

Reply to
Doug Miller

When working with plywood you typically will get a better cut with a saw blade than a router bit in this situation.

That said if your panels are relative large and are not perfectly flat your 45 degree cuts will not be straight or consistent.

Experiment on scraps!

Reply to
Leon

You decide...

  1. On a table saw, you will get a 45 degree cut on two pieces with one cut.
  2. To use a router, you have to cut the pieces on a saw then hog off the excess with your router bit.
Reply to
dadiOH

Thank you all for the advice table saw it is.

Top of the morning to you.

Sal

Reply to
sal