best way:

Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?
Sal
On 8/14/2012 8:22 PM, sal wrote:

Better than what??? :)
How large of pieces????

What are you cutting them with square with? If it's a tablesaw, then cutting them square and cutting the 45 angle all on the tablesaw is the easiest, fastest and most exact method.
If you're cutting with a circular saw, then I'd still want to make the square and 45 cuts with that too.
Trimming plywood with a router bit is messy and prone to mistakes.
Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade at a 45degree)
Sal

Cut it all on the tablesaw, no matter with size the panels are.
On 8/14/12 9:25 PM, Dave wrote:

Yep... and I agree about the router.
--

-MIKE-

sal wrote:

Cutting on the table saw is gooder.
BUT:
Don't depend on the saw's angle protractor. Get yourself an inclinometer to get the blade to 45d precisely.

Pfffft. Unnecessary expense. Set up the table saw accurately to begin with. Then make a few test cuts in scrap to verify.

On 8/14/2012 8:22 PM, sal wrote:

When working with plywood you typically will get a better cut with a saw blade than a router bit in this situation.
That said if your panels are relative large and are not perfectly flat your 45 degree cuts will not be straight or consistent.
Experiment on scraps!
sal wrote:

You decide...
1. On a table saw, you will get a 45 degree cut on two pieces with one cut.
2. To use a router, you have to cut the pieces on a saw then hog off the excess with your router bit.
--

dadiOH