Best readily available TS blades for ply?

Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project). My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple of mom-and-pop hardware stores and a local lumber yard - i.e. contractor stores, no fine woodworking stores. I have seen Freud Diablo 80T, Freud Avanti 80T, DeWalt 80T, and maybe a couple of others. In the absence of further input, I'll probably get the Freud Diablo 80T. Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks!
--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"
Jim Willemin wrote:

You might be able to get it sharpened.

Do you have any industrial supply shops around? These usually keep regular business hours and cater mostly to other businesses.
In any case, if you want the "best" results, look for something specifically designed for plywood/melamine. Something like the Forrest HI A/T, or Freud LU98R.
Chris
I have been using the blade you use on baltic birch plywood 3/4" with very good results. That said ..........I have a shopsmith and I slow down the speed to reduce vibration and use a slow feed rate. By slowing down the blade I reduce the burn that is normally seen. Also important that you use a pitch /gum remover for every so many board feet you saw. There may not be anything wrong with your blade, it may be gummed up. Good luck Lyndell

I use the Freud Diablo 80T and do most all of my cabinet work including cutting hardwood plywood with it as it leaves a very clean cut. I haven't tried any of the others that you have listed so I can't really say that it's the best choice, but it works for me.
Charley

DeWalt
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:12:29 -0600, Jim Willemin wrote:

I've had good luck buying a low cost 7.25" non-carbide plywood blade and using it with a zero clearance throat plate. When the blade starts to dull, I toss it. At the rate I use/cut plywood, that's about once a year.

If you have a PC, and you apparently do, you have access to a multitude of on-line fine woodworking stores.

My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple

Yes, true, and I order stuff from them when I really can't get it locally (e.g. ply-groove dado router bits). However, I sorta want to get started by tomorrow. I also wanted to get the advice of those more experienced than I in terms of what to get, and I wanted to gently limit the budget range (if SWMBO found out I had spent $160 on a saw blade, no matter how wonderful the cut, I'd be in trouble to my eyebrows).
--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"
Look in Lowes for a Freud LU82 "crosscut blade", which will work just fine for plywood. You might also find a Freud LU84 combination blade which does pretty well in ply.
I don't care for the Diablo series.