Best precision mitre gauge?

Page 2 of 2

I like my Incra 1000, Woodpeckers offers a $40 model that does 90 and 45 degrees, and I've seen many more at my local tool stores.
ANYTHING is usually better than what came with the saw.
Barry
Sammy,
FWW's current issue actually does a review of miter guages. Surprisingly the Rockler is rated among the poorest. Also, they weren't impressed with any of the Incra's excepts the 1000, which is cheapest. I was actually glad to hear that since I bought that model last year. I love mine, but admittedly haven't been working on too many projects with crazy angles, so I can't attest to its accuracy. 90 & 45 degree cuts have been perfect.
If memory serves me correct, one of the highest rated ones was a Delta, which is only slightly beefed up from the cheap one they include with their TS. I would definitely pick up that article before you spend $100+. It had more info on mitre gauges than I ever considered.
Chuck
Second that. Don't want to tell you how many times over the 25 years I've owned the saw I've rechecked the square or angle, but I think I'm still counting the number of times I've found it in error on easily visible body parts.
Drops are another matter.

Thanks for the input, all.
I will read the latest FWW for comparisons before making my purchase. Before reading your message I was about to buy the Incra 3000SE, because at 200 bucks it *has* to be good.
Right?
Sammy wrote:

95% of your crosscuts will be dead square or dead 45. Build sleds permanently set for those two angles.

That makes sense, and the 95% is probably light. B U T. the nice thing about a good miter gauge is the accuracy of the stop. It can be set rather precisely for not just an accurate cut, but repeatable cuts. If that can be built into a sled up to 48" cut, then it makes a lot of sense. Ed

I also use my good miter gauge on my router table.
Barry
On 24 Sep 2003 06:40:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WoodChuck34) wrote:

Me too. I like my 1000. However in hindsight, I would go with a flip-up stop.
Incra now makes a $60 version of the 1000.
The Woodhaven 90/45 gauge is excellent for about $60. My buddy has one and I'm impressed with it's accuracy and simplicity.
Barry
Sammy wrote:

I've been extremely happy with the Incra 1000SE.
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidC85&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1046%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CPower%20Tool%20Accessories&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D5009%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CINCRA%20Miter%20Gauges&Giftlse&mscssidw6FF06F979143689C1F523594995166
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

This id the manufacturer of the fasttrack miter gage. Sold by many tool companies including Amazon. Best in all of the reviews I have ever seen as of late. http://www.woodworkingfasttrak.com /
I have the fasttrack mitre gauge "deluxe" and I will attest that it is very accurate. I like the bushings for the common angles - it is dead-on for all of them. Easy to use auxiliary fences too if you need to.
Sammy wrote:

Very important! The one that comes with the saw is accurate enough for framing a barn, but not fine furniture.
My favorite ones are the ones I build myself. I made a 90deg for frequent use and a 45deg for mitering. Both took <30min to make.
When I need another angle, I'll make another one....or add a wedge to my panel-cutting sled.
Oh, and mine are quite lightweight :) and cheap, too!
--
Chris Merrill