Best commercial woodworking bench?

Hello Everyone,
Stipulating that it is almost always better to build your own, what is the best commerically available woodworking bench on the market today? Anything that is well made and stable?
Thanks in advance
Kurt
Kurt Greiner
SeaPhoto Maritime Photography ...delete "net" to reply http://www.warshipphotos.com - now taking online payments via Paypal
Learn about large scale r/c model warships- Warship Models Underway http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
On 02 Aug 2004 03:30:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnet (Kurt Greiner) wrote:

for what kind of work?
You're right. Home-built benches can be made "perfect" according to your needs. But, I saw this one at Woodcraft over the weekend, and wouldn't complain if it were in my shop. Or let me rephrase that... I wouldn't complain about having enough room in my shop for it. ;-)
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidD20&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1027%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CWorkbenches%20%26%20Hardware&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2078%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CWorkbenches&Giftlse&mscssid8B09D52CE4E409EA273A97A08866FC

best
that is

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidD20&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp %2Cdept%5Fid%3D1027%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CWorkbenches%20%26%20Hardware &2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2078%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CWorkbenches&Gif tlse&mscssid8B09D52CE4E409EA273A97A08866FC
Yikes, I wouldn't be complaining if I had the money to buy that bench, let alone having the bench itself! :-)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - Triton Powered Respirator ------------------------------------------------------------

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidD20&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1027%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CWorkbenches%20%26%20Hardware&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2078%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CWorkbenches&Giftlse&mscssid8B09D52CE4E409EA273A97A08866FC
You planning to make entry doors or anything that requires the 93" length? That's quite a chunk of floor space to use up, to say nothing of the chunk of change they want for it. $2K is a pretty hefty price. Hell, $1300 for just the bench without the cabinets is pretty steep. You can get a maple top for under $300, Veritas Twin Screw for $160, a good face vise for another $100+ and stock for the legs and stretchers for less than another $100. That's less than half the price of this bench - without the cabinets. The tail vise is very traditional but limits you to one row of dogholes along the front edge. A wide end vise, in conjunction with two more rows of round dogholes will allow you to clamp panels and even curved parts. A Veritas Twin Screw on the end will give you that option PLUS do what the tail vise does.
Do a google search on Ulma - they make some really nice benches as does Deifenbach (sp?).
But you really should go through Scott Landis's workbench book, along with the one by Sam Allen to see the different types of benches and the types of woodworking each is designed specifically to do.
Seriously consider making your own. You'll learn a great deal and have a bench that'll do what you want it to do.
Here's mine. Could have built it in four weekends once I worked out the plans. That's not including the time spent on the integral through drawers of course.
The "plans"
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench2.html
The finished bench http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BenchFinishing/CBbench34.html
The index page for the bench, start to finish http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BenchFinishing/CBbench0.html
charlie b

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidD20&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1027%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CWorkbenches%20%26%20Hardware&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2078%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CWorkbenches&Giftlse&mscssid8B09D52CE4E409EA273A97A08866FC
....equals: http://tinyurl.com/6cw5p (I love it!)
Alex
That bench was on my wish list for some time. I faced the same decision a while back and finally decided to build my own. I could easily afford to buy this bench but after looking at it I didn't like it as well as others I'd seen. I finally build one similar to one that Fine Woodworking had a while ago, only bigger and heavier. It cost less about half, including better vices and besides making my brothers give me dirty looks when it came time to move it is really nice. I only had to yell am my girfirend a couple of time for starting to put things on it, explaining I needed to build another one to actually work on.

the

There's also the Hoffman and Hammer benches: http://tinyurl.com/6amvb at Highland Hardware... Alex
Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I am looking at the Veritas bench, the one that gives the choice of wooden or iron legs. Anyone have those?
I will be using the bench for general woodworking, and to build the rest of my shop. Between all the cabinets and stands that I will be making, I wanted to save some time, and give myself a treat that would last for decades.
Thanks again
Kurt
Kurt Greiner
SeaPhoto Maritime Photography ...delete "net" to reply http://www.warshipphotos.com - now taking online payments via Paypal
Learn about large scale r/c model warships- Warship Models Underway http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com

Yeah? You really like that rediculous ditch-slash-tool corral running down the middle? I personaly dislik it very much. Or... maybe someone here can tell me why it is desirable?
Alex
AArDvarK asks:

For those who use hand tools, it keeps a variety of tools right at hand, without much danger of them getting knocked onto the floor.
It's also a fantastic sawdust collector.
Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

If you're really using those hand tools, most of what it's collecting should be whisper thin shavings. :o)

Do you have this type of traditional bench? I want one myself but as far as that central corral, I much prefer that it be at the back of the bench, like this: http://www.woodworkingathome.com/ShopTour/woodworking_workbench.htm
Alex
AArDvarK asks:

Nope. I don't like the tool corrals, as you called them. I prefer a flat top, dog holes being the only breaks. I'm currently working on a 16 year old 8' long bench with a battered double plywood top. Very battered. I like to be able to work from both sides without having to reach across a bunch of tools, hand or otherwise. My bench also serves as an assembly table, and, in a pinch, a finishing stand, so fancy is a waste of energy too.
I don't do a whole lot of handtool work. Some and more as I get older (that seems to be a standard progression in this field, though you'd think going to more power tool work would seem more sensible as you age, get less agile, weaker, etc. Maybe dodging kickbacks gets tiresome after 60).
Too, I put a wooden floor in my shop. Knock a tool off the bench or drop it and odds are great it's going to be fine or very close to fine when it hits the floor. Many of my previous shops had concrete floors. They demand, generally, a less clumsy woodworker than I, and one with feet that don't hurt at the start of the session, cause they're going to at the end. When you loose a top grade mortising chisel and a 60 tooth 10" high quality carbide tipped saw blade in one day, the future shop with a wood floor begins to look better.