bending rockers?

Should I go the steam route or try to resaw thin strips, glue and bend approach?
What do I but for a heater and a boiler to make a small steamer?
any experience with that? thanks for the tips

Either way will work.

A piece of pipe with a diameter about 3x that of the wood, a cap with an outlet hole on one end and a steam kettle on the other end. That's all you really need.
Make a form that you want the rockers to emulate (plywood will be fine), steam the wood, (one rocker at time) and form the steamed wood to the form, clamp in place, let dry and cool down completely before doing the second one. That's all it takes. Very cheap, relatively easy and fast.

Laminating should produce more reliable results.

Wallpaper steamer and box structure made from WBP plywood.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Resawing/gluing thin strips produces the strongest curved piece. That's how banisters are made. I used this technique to make "ship's knees" for the legs of a wooden settee.
Steaming wood is fairly easy. You need an uninterrupted heat source, kettle, piping, forms, and careful planning. Some kinds of wood are better at steam-bending than others. BBQ tongs and leather gloves come in handy.
Either method, you will have to deal with spring-back, about 5% maybe more.

Hi Resawing and gluing will make a strong joint an can be used, If you prefer to bend I bouhgt a steam kettle from www.leevalley.com that is made for this purpose look under steam bending at there web site. I made bending box from 4" poly drain pipe that I got from Lowes and caps also bought at lowes. Drill a hole for steam kettle and sit it on blocks, Use gloves it get hot.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
ok Thanks all. I guess I give the laminate approach a whirl.