Bench

Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

ed_h

vise, both the padauk and the vise mechanics.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

I agree with the above remarks.

I also like the nice LONG handle on the tail vise. I can remember lots of time needing a little more leverage while trying to tighten a vise on something without flat sides.

I like your bench dogs too. I built my dogs out of some big bolts I found at the scrap yard.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Great job!

What makes burr oak different from the standard red and white species that most of us normally work with?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Burr oak is a type of white oak, and is probably sold commercially under the name white oak . I find it a little darker than the typical commercial white oak. We happen to have a lot of it growing around here.

Reply to
ed_h

Is "here", the NE USA, SE USA, Eastern Canada, Europe?

I'd never heard of it, so you grabbed my interest. I see how the photos look a tad darker than most white oak, it's very pretty.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"Here" is Missouri river valley in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa, but I think Burr Oak is pretty common up into Minnesota and maybe down to Texas.

Reply to
ed_h

Thanks! Again, very nice bench!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Very nice bench.. Must feel extra god when you use wood from your own property. I just retired from the Navy and I can't wait to get my own place that is PERMANENT so I can do the same. Again Really nice job. Gloat away, you've earned it.

Reply to
Rich

The bench is fantastic, only how are you going to bring yourself to work on it.

Reply to
asmurff

the burr oak is common here in minnesota. compared to white oak but not as strait grained therefore not as prone to split as white or red oak. if you look at the growth rings on the end of the log the burr oak rings will be wavey and white oak will be more symetric. very hard tough wood, i just supplied some to a friend for the same purpose of making a work bench. good choice. ross

Ross Hebeisen

Reply to
ed_h

Kinda' like that first scratch or ding on a pickup.

**
**

B A R R Y

Reply to