BEGINNER'S TOOLBOX

http://popularmechanics.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_idA&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_idB&page_id 938048&queryginners&hiwordGINNER+beginners+BEGINNING+BEGINNINGS+
Woo, a bit long isn't it. But, just a little cut & paste will take care of it, if it warps.
This ought to be posted several times a day. But, on the other hand, we'd probably still get about the same number of people asking what tools they should start out with.
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
JOAT try this for those giant URLs http://tinyurl.com/ just learned it myself. Click: http://tinyurl.com/6z76b
Alex
Mon, Aug 2, 2004, 4:12am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@notquite.net (AArDvarK) advises: JOAT try this for those giant URLs http://tinyurl.com/ just learned it myself. Click: http://tinyurl.com/6z76b
In a week or two, they're dead.
Last time I looked at one, turned out to from one of the trolls.
No.
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

okay whatever, but from me to you it's about that you can use the feature yourself.
Alex

TinyURL is a bad fix to a non-existant problem.
Long URL's are written with leading and trailing angle brackets, "<" and ">", which prevent them from being word-wrapped in newsreaders. When written in this manner, they cut'n'paste into browsers without problem.
See? <http://www.bigassedlongnamedwebsiteURLherewhichwouldnormallybewordwrappedifitdidn 'thaveanglebracketsleadingandtrailingit.not> You can cut and paste the above as easily as you can "Shortname.com".
As has already been mentioned, "Tiny URL" assigns a _temporary_ URL to a real one, thereby voiding the best thing about the internet-- the ability to access information for as long as the info resides on a server.
If Al Gore ever makes me king of the internet, I'm banning them and forcing people to figure out where their angle brackets are. :)
Like I said, a bad fix to a non-existant "problem".
Michael

Thank you for the great interjection, that does tell me something. But I just think it is really nifty as a new discovery, it doesn't harm anything, it works well, and I intend to keep using wherever feasable. No reason to fight it either.
Alex
AArDvarK wrote:

Not until you're googling for information, find exactly the link you need, and it doesn't work anymore because tinyurl either decided to forget about it or took their ball and went home.

Of course there's "reason to fight it". Probably a losing battle, but one worth joining.

--
--John