before or after?

Hand tools that have a 'place' go to that place when I've finished that phase of the work (chisels, screwdrivers, squares, etc.).

Big tools get put back in their resting spot at the end of the project (so I can get my garage back to parking two vehicles).

Sadly, there are a number of things on my desk that don't have a 'place' that never seem to go anywhere but back on to the desk so it's desk search mode whenever I need one of those things.

Dust and shavings get swept sometimes, vaccuumed sometimes, during phases of a project but I always get out my leaf blower and blow out the shop before finishing (then run the air filter for a day) and after each project.

All in all, I can find most things fairly quickly (unless it is a desk item).

TWS

Reply to
TWS

I clean (pick up loose items) daily and leave the sawdust that escapes the dust collector and air filter on the floor until I have finished the construction and sanding on a project. The day before I am ready to apply finish to the project I do a really good job of vaccuming the floor and all other horizontal and vertical surfaces that I can reach to get rid of as much of the really fine dust as possiable from inside of my shop. My vaccum has a Clean Stream vaccum filter installed in it so it dumps a minimum of really fine dust back into the air. I find that my finishing results have improved signifigantly by removing as much of the dust as possiable. By doing this the day before or at least several hours before almost all the remaining airborne dust will settle out or be picked up by the air filter before I begin my finishing. With a minimum of dust on the floor and other surfaces, my movement in the shop while applying finishes stirs up much less dust to settle on my project as it dries.

Reply to
Joe Nation

I have managed to find a place for all my tools. I return them to the same place everytime I put them away. Usually at the end of the day sometimes at the beginning. Same for sweeping. Dusting is another issue. Maybe once a month. I tend to agree with Paul Sr. when he starts bellowing at Paul Jr. about putting things away. (Orange County Chopper)

Reply to
Wayne K.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:07:19 GMT, "Gary A" calmly ranted:

I just put a floor sweep on my DC and LOVE it. I need to put a handle on it so I can use it instead of a broom and floor sweep. The 4" flex line I got from Amazon (50' for $26, free shipping) is great for that, and it even self-retracts. ;)

I have no kids so I get to clean up on my own. Making toys to make that more fun is where it's at. I think a PVC pipe will work well; heat-bent and glued to the sweep.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Neither, of course. During.

I'm the same way in the kitchen. I'll cook a meal and the kitchen will be cleaner than when I started. SWMBO hates that about me.

Reply to
Joe Wells

Reply to
Joe_Stein

"I cleaned the shop after, before I cleaned it before"?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:150920041655330461%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

Yesterday, for most of the day, it was 'instead of'. Cleaned out the shop. Cleaned out the truck. Made a recycling run. Sorted the router bits. Put the tools where they belonged. Planned a home-made chip 'cyclone' seperator.

Dreamed about finding another 150 sq ft. Put that thought away, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

After. There's no sawdust before I do a project! For Multi-session projects, I clean up at the end of each session, and always sweep and shop-vac the whole thing before applying any stain or topcoat. I do some minor metalwork in my shop as well (usually just making small frames to mount benchtop tools) and it's imperitive to get the sawdust up before making any kind of sparks. When I was in high school, I had a chemistry teacher who kept a small squeeze bottle of sawdust in the classroom, and he would demonstrate the increased flammibilty of wood when ground fine buy squirting a little stream of it past a bunsen burner. The result was a massive fireball- hardly the sort of thing I want around my tools.

Anyhow, shame on me for responding, since this seems too obvious a question to be anything but a troll.

Reply to
Prometheus