before or after?

Page 2 of 2
I clean my shop at the end of the day. If you work in a messy shop with sawdust all over the place, the chance of an accident increases. Plus, have you ever dropped a screw or piece of chipped wood that you need into a pile of sawdust? I like starting the day in a (reasonably) clean shop where I know where all the tools are stored, but to each his own. It takes less than 10 minutes to tidy up my shop; ie, put the tools away, place scrap wood pieces into a bin and sweep. While cleaning up, I run the shop air filter.
On 14 Sep 2004 00:03:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@osuchialpha.com (russ) wrote:

Hand tools that have a 'place' go to that place when I've finished that phase of the work (chisels, screwdrivers, squares, etc.).
Big tools get put back in their resting spot at the end of the project (so I can get my garage back to parking two vehicles).
Sadly, there are a number of things on my desk that don't have a 'place' that never seem to go anywhere but back on to the desk so it's desk search mode whenever I need one of those things.
Dust and shavings get swept sometimes, vaccuumed sometimes, during phases of a project but I always get out my leaf blower and blow out the shop before finishing (then run the air filter for a day) and after each project.
All in all, I can find most things fairly quickly (unless it is a desk item).
TWS
I have managed to find a place for all my tools. I return them to the same place everytime I put them away. Usually at the end of the day sometimes at the beginning. Same for sweeping. Dusting is another issue. Maybe once a month. I tend to agree with Paul Sr. when he starts bellowing at Paul Jr. about putting things away. (Orange County Chopper)

I clean (pick up loose items) daily and leave the sawdust that escapes the dust collector and air filter on the floor until I have finished the construction and sanding on a project. The day before I am ready to apply finish to the project I do a really good job of vaccuming the floor and all other horizontal and vertical surfaces that I can reach to get rid of as much of the really fine dust as possiable from inside of my shop. My vaccum has a Clean Stream vaccum filter installed in it so it dumps a minimum of really fine dust back into the air. I find that my finishing results have improved signifigantly by removing as much of the dust as possiable. By doing this the day before or at least several hours before almost all the remaining airborne dust will settle out or be picked up by the air filter before I begin my finishing. With a minimum of dust on the floor and other surfaces, my movement in the shop while applying finishes stirs up much less dust to settle on my project as it dries.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:03:52 -0700, russ wrote:

Neither, of course. During.
I'm the same way in the kitchen. I'll cook a meal and the kitchen will be cleaner than when I started. SWMBO hates that about me.
--
Joe Wells

Another vote for "before, during & after" & John Kerry, too. Joe
russ wrote:

"I cleaned the shop after, before I cleaned it before"?

Yesterday, for most of the day, it was 'instead of'. Cleaned out the shop. Cleaned out the truck. Made a recycling run. Sorted the router bits. Put the tools where they belonged. Planned a home-made chip 'cyclone' seperator.
Dreamed about finding another 150 sq ft. Put that thought away, too.
Patriarch
On 14 Sep 2004 00:03:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@osuchialpha.com (russ) wrote:

After. There's no sawdust before I do a project! For Multi-session projects, I clean up at the end of each session, and always sweep and shop-vac the whole thing before applying any stain or topcoat. I do some minor metalwork in my shop as well (usually just making small frames to mount benchtop tools) and it's imperitive to get the sawdust up before making any kind of sparks. When I was in high school, I had a chemistry teacher who kept a small squeeze bottle of sawdust in the classroom, and he would demonstrate the increased flammibilty of wood when ground fine buy squirting a little stream of it past a bunsen burner. The result was a massive fireball- hardly the sort of thing I want around my tools.
Anyhow, shame on me for responding, since this seems too obvious a question to be anything but a troll.