bed rail extenders?

We bought an semi-antique bed we liked and refinished it. When we went shopping for matriss and springs, we found only one place that had one short enough to fit between the head and foot-board. It is tightly wedged in, so it is difficult to change the sheets. I would like to put some extenders, somehow, in the siderails to make them, say 4 or 6 inches longer. I did a Google search for bed extender, and bed rail extender, but all I get are hits for pickup bed extenders. Are such a thing made, and what do I search for to find them? Or how else can I fix the problem?
jhill wrote:

Even seen a set of twin beds that also turn into trundle beds and bunk beds? It's neat and the whole secret of the trundle beds is extending the bed rails on one twin and putting wheels on the feet of the other. Then the one with wheels rolls under the other because it was made extra long by the extensions.
this picture shows the extension on the right end only of the top bed:
http://www.ecobedroom.com/shop/furniture/images/pr-systemtrundle1.jpg
Lee Valey and Veritas catalog (2004-2005) show the pieces of hardware needed on page 180 - they call the metal pieces "bedlocks" and "bed hooks" and if you can't find anything better I could photograph (digital) the extentions of the twin bed and post them.
Josie
Thank you. Something like that is more of what I had in mind. I will have to get those catalogs and order the hardware. I remember that some company used to have these extenders already made up, but that was several years ago and I didn't need them then!

jhill wrote:

it - got them already, just took a few days for them to send them to me.
Josie
I operate a woodworking shop in Allen, Michigan, The Antique Capital of Michigan. I am often called upon to extend antique bed rails. What I do is cut the bed rail in half about a foot from the end and double lap a piece about 3 inches wide into the gap from behind with a router. The joint has never failed. A custom woodworker could do it for you. I charge $20 for two rails.
It is easier to make new ones using the old hardware but more expensive of course. Assuming that they are oak, the lumber would cost about $40. It is very easy to put the hardware in.

How do you hide the gap so it looks good? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by double-lap.

I was going to suggest making them from scratch. Same comment - not that difficult. But this extension method sounds like a good approach. If your bedding covers the rails they will be covered anyway.
I refinished an old Mahogany bed this summer and the rails were in pretty bad shape (splits). I did manager to glue everything back together but building new ones was my next option. The hardware was held in place with small cylindrical keys. Very easy to accommodate.

Get a latex foam mattress (Dunlopillo brand in the UK). NB- latex, foam, not PU or Tempur.
They're expensive, but they're _the_ best mattresses I've ever slept on. They're also cut to size for your order, so you can have anything you want. They tend to the firm side of things, but you can pick your foam softness grade when you order.
--
Smert' spamionam