Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

Leon and I were just discussing this on the back channel.

Any one here going to bite?

Swingman

Just buy the bit. The rest you already own or could fab pretty quickly.

Reply to
Robatoy

That crossed a couple of minds already. Trying to determine if it could be adapted to the M-R.

Reply to
Swingman

the stock and then remove what needs to be by using a combination of the chopsaw with the depth set, and the bandsaw to do what the chopsaw can't.

They'll have to do some more convincing to crowbar any money out of my wallet.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yeah, I'm not getting that one. The gloss over the fact that you must be 100% (as in absolutely no margin of error) accurate on your depth cuts in the stiles, and perfect in the length of the ears that are cut off on the rails. Anyone that has tried to match cuts with an Incra system or any of the other snap on stop systems can testify how hard that can be. Again, I am looking at that depth adjustment. How many test cuts would you have to make?

At least if you are building faces the old fashioned way (not as show in the video with saw blade burned wood, oozing glue, and poor bead mold placement) you can make up just a bit of inconsistency when you add your bead mold. With this system, you have no margin for error.

Ditto. I didn't know that there was such a great need for beaded faces that a new product was needed. To me, this is a solution looking for a problem.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I like the concept, though. Anything that can cut back on "time and waste" is worth at least a look from me, as I seem to have done a lot of both on beaded FF's.

Would like to get a hold of a bit and try to jig up from there, especially if I can get equipment that currently takes up space in shop involved, like the Multi-Router.

Reply to
Swingman

Looks to me that the shoulder might make that easier than you think? Then again, maybe not.

How long the fad will last is anyone's guess, but do know for a fact that they are a much asked about item in kitchens theses days.

Apparently the "kitchen and bath" magazine industry was looking for an old "new" idea to sell magazines.

Hey, I'm not trying to sell the damn things, but I wouldn't mind using/adapting the concept to cut back on the waste and time it takes to do beaded FF on a shitload of cabinets.

I lusted after one of the dedicated machines a few years ago ... they started at $8k back then ...

Reply to
Swingman

It's been a big detail around here for a long time and I've probably run off several miles of beaded stock for baseboards, casing and face frames.

The face frames are a little fussy and I've used both applied bead/ quirk, and that worked in the solid. I prefer the solid and feel like I can turn out good quality joints quickly, using basic shop tools.

I used to love buying new tools. Nowadays I hate anything that goes on the debit side of the ledger.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Then there are these guys who also seem to think that beaded face- frames are de rigueur. They have a whack of gizmos to deal with that 'problem'.

tend to agree with Robert "The Nail" Shooter that it could be a solution looking for a problem. Or, as Angela likes to say: "The answer to the question nobody asked."

Reply to
Robatoy

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:27 PM Subject: Re: Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

Yeah, I'm not getting that one. The gloss over the fact that you must be 100% (as in absolutely no margin of error) accurate on your depth cuts in the stiles, and perfect in the length of the ears that are cut off on the rails. Anyone that has tried to match cuts with an Incra system or any of the other snap on stop systems can testify how hard that can be. Again, I am looking at that depth adjustment. How many test cuts would you have to make?

I can see how the acuracy of the cutting depth will be very important and thinking back, how often do your rails "PRECICELY" measure out in width. I can say from lot's of experience that my rails can may differ in width by

1/128" from one to the next. this would pose a problem with the Kreg system I suspect. I think your stock would literally have to be perfectly sized and perfectly straight. AND I would use my Domino over the pocket hole screws if I used this system, I think. ;~)

At least if you are building faces the old fashioned way (not as show in the video with saw blade burned wood, oozing glue, and poor bead mold placement) you can make up just a bit of inconsistency when you add your bead mold. With this system, you have no margin for error.

The goober infomercial demo of the old fashoned way was a hoot. I suspect that if you have precision problems the old way, it is not going to be any better with the Kreg. Assuming the Kreg is easy to use I felt that it would create a stronger joint and replace the need for jigs as spacers. I also thought you could simply use straight edges with no profile or roundovers, coves, etc. providing the bit cut all the way through the profile on the stile. .

Perhaps an in person demo showing "how easy" it is to set up would be the acid test. I would not want to see the demo with every thing already set up.

Reply to
Leon

Better man than me, Charlie Brown. I simply haven't done enough of them to make an apprentice to the pimple on a cabinetmaker's ass.

Just replaced my lost-on-the-job saddle square and, at only $28 for two from LV, even that minor shop expenditure took some consideration.

I spend a lot on supplies, but tool expenditures are way down for me.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

That brings up a recent painful, kinda funny thing for me. The love of my life, who is totally tool clueless, put my combination square underneath a small leak in the back of my garage. I went to get it the other day, had to hunt for it, and found it covered with a thick layer of recent rust.

Sooo....., I had to buy a new combination square. I didn't have time to rehab the old one. I got a stainless steel one this time. Also picked up a new T bevel because the one I had was not long enough for a new project.

Those are my recent tool purchaces. Not that much, but unexpected. The good thing is that both tools are much higher quality than what I had before. And I am going to hide them from my wife!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

WTF is a bearded face frame?

Reply to
jo4hn

Now, that's downright mean as hell ... what did _you_ do to deserve that?

... unless she was trying to stop the leak, with a combination square?

Then again ...

Quid pro quo ... what marriages are made of. :)

Reply to
Swingman

You best leave that Maui Wowee shit alone, boy.

It done made you null and void.

watson - who did inhale and still remembers...sorta

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Reply to
Swingman

A face frame hewn with a bearded axe, of course:

Robatoy

Reply to
Swingman

Especially considering the Hoffman nutso-cuckoo prices...

Reply to
Robatoy

I thought Billy Mays' beard framed his face quite nicely.....

Reply to
Robatoy