Be Careful

My wife went to the hand surgeon today. She has a repetitive motion situation that the Doc is treating. He told her that he was on-call Friday (last week) through Monday (today) at one of the local hospitals. During that time, he had 12 calls for table saw related injuries. Some more serious than others of course but still serious enough to call a hand surgeon. That seems like a lot for a city with about 400,000 in the metro area..... and over a weekend.

Be careful and watch those fingers!!!

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Too many DIY shows, catering to too many idiots.

Reply to
Swingman

No kidding. The DIY channel should have a DIY show for how to treat injuries or have a disclaimer that you should never try this at home.

Reply to
Leon

LOL. They do ... there is something that flashes on the screen on the DIY channel to the effect that "the _practicality_ of what you are about to view is not guaranteed". (yep, they use that precise word)

To that, there is only one logical response: No shit?!

Reply to
Swingman

On Nov 7, 8:15 am, "Swingman" wrote: [snipped for brevity]

"I am not a cabinetmaker, but I play one on TV...." .. . . . One guy here in town was telling his story about his bout with a table saw: "By the time I said OUCH, pieces of my fingers were GONE!"... he managed a really crooked smile when one of the guys said: "those table saws will do that." Guess you had to be there.

Robatoy

Too many DIY shows, catering to too many idiots.

Reply to
<wild_hare

You know, thinking of all the DIY guys who buy the tools they do, I have always wondered why they don't take classes on how to properly use tools. I have seen a lot of really bad accidents on the jobsites over the years, but rarely see any as bad as the ones that hobby guys get themselves into. I think back to some of the posts here from the guys that take issue with guards, blade stopping devices, etc., and how they feel like "being careful" and being a "serious woodworker" is enough. They easily dismiss and make snide remarks about some injuries.

I think the reason my friend that is an ER nurse sees more homeowner/serious woodworkers (by her estimates 20 to 1) over construction trades that do their jobs all day, every day, eight hours a day is the over confidence that the home guy gets. Make a couple of birdhouses, then a coffee table, watch some Norm, then makes some shelves, put a few months into a storage room, read a Time Life book, and make some new cabinets for the bathroom and the confidence is really high. Missplaced, but high. I know that not all are that way, but in my almost daily contact to sell my remodel/repair services to the public I see an awful lot of it. Sometimes in an effor to impress, or to put me on notice that they aren't dealing with a neophyte, clients will actually be using their tools when I come over for an estimate. I guess in their mind this sets some kind of boundary. Then I really get to see some bad techniques, techniques that have become habits. And bad habits are something that can be gotten away with for some time (kinda like smoking), but in the end they will get you.

My commercial rep at HD and I have often wondered how long it will take a crop of bored lawyers to sue HD or anyone else for selling a tools that are as dangerous as table saws, band saws, planers, circular saws, etc., without having to take some kind of safety class. He has shown me some of the tools that come back from home guys; bent blades in miter saws, horribly broken blades in band saws, and month old table saws that look 20 years old. If that is you public, think how many accidents there must be over the years that no one knows about. And when we think about it and he gets through deriding and abusing a customer that got hurt using an HD tool we always ask, "why didn't someone stop that guy from buying that?" Why did someone let their accountant or IT guy buy a table saw without including a safety class? I dunno... after seeing so many wounded home guys I think about those things. I have come to appreciate 10 fingers and ten toes a lot more over the last few years. Over 30 years on the job and I still have 'em.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I totally agree. It's the accident that you are not prepared for that is going to get you and NO ONE is prepared for all accidents.

Reply to
Leon

Safety classes are for sissies. As long as there are people that insist they are safer with no seat belt in their car, you have the "it won't happen to me" mindset.

I took a Woodcraft basic course a few years ago. Safety was stressed on the power tools. When I bought my tablesaw, the salesman went over at least some very basic safety procedures.

Many of the DIY guys are self taught and have never been exposed to a real safety course from anyone, but just watched their father, uncle, or Norm so they figure they can handle anything. Bring back shop classes in school too and that would help with the basics of power tool handling.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Robatoy" wrote

And DIY network has that daffy dame with the "free form furniture" show. I really don't know how to classify this stuff. Sort of an artsy fartsy junkyard abomination. It certainly qualifies as some of the ugliest furniture I have ever seen.

This is definitely risky activity. If I tried to make and give this crap to someone, I would fear for my life.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:O574h.6099$MO6.604@trndny06:

I haven't taken a formal safety class, but I have taken shop classes. The first thing most of them do before you even touch a tool is by taking and passing instructor selected safety tests. Yes, there's still been a few accidents, but what I saw in my short time in shop was fairly minor. (I got bit with a belt sander once, I respect it much more now.)

Shop safety should be one of the manditory classes for all students. It could be as annoying to students as Consumer Education, but it's just as important if not more important. Everyone at some time is going to turn a screwdriver... Otherwise they might have to move to Las Vegas to get Tom Silva and gang to come over.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper