Well, I started getting ready for a trip today and thought it was time to
set things up right for an extended away period. I cleanup the shop, put
covers on all the tools, oiled the bench (disposed of the rags properly),
put the power tool batteries away fully charged and separate from the tools
themselves so any thieves will have to search or buy/steal more batteries.
Wiped down the machines with lanolin oil then turned off all switches and
power sources, finally, turned off the main breaker to the shop and locked
it up good and tight.
Then on to the yard shed, removed all rags and junk, squeezed excess air out
of containers of fuel so they don't pop their lids in the heat and secured
Finally, inside to prep for the trip. Got out the Streetfinder GPS and
worked out a scenic route along the coast road that would get us to
Adelaide, partway through the upload I got a low power message. After the
download I checked the batteries - oh no! Leakage! Two weeks since purchased
from the shop, the Eveready Energizers had leaked into the battery
compartment and started causing damage. A quick search on Al Gore's internet
showed that I needed to wash it out with 50/50 white vinegar and water, then
use methylated spirited (alcohol) to help dry it out.
About an hour later I have it all cleaned up and only minimal damage has
occurred, though it could have been much worse. What gets me a little riled
is the fact these are new batteries, in a new $GPS$, and have not been
abused at all in my care. Their leakage could have caused $1500 damage and
there is not a darn thing I could have done about it (there is no warranty
on damage caused by faulty batteries in Australia).
Anyway, I guess I got lucky and noticed it before too much damage was done,
only a contact plate and some of the casing was affected.
You may want to check some of your equipment, take the batteries out if you
are not using it.
Merry Christmas to you all, and have a safe, ten fingered, New Year.