batteries - replace or rebuild

Page 1 of 2

I've got quite a collection of DeWalt 12V cordless tools, including 7 batteries. Some of the batteries will only hold a charge for 4 or 5 minutes. It's time to do something about that. What has your experience been with rebuilding these batteries? There is a plethora of websites of companies that do battery rebuilding. Any one in particular that did a good job for you?
Thanks.
Bob
bob wrote:

new Makita (not a fake one) battery sold through another supplier I found on line.
Dave
David wrote:

buy new, so I'm just storing the old ones until such time I can't get them anymore then I can rebuild a few.
Swingman wrote:
<<Most of the DeWalts seem to be worth rebuilding and are generally returned unrecognizable, in both power and depth of charge, from when they were
purchased with the tool.>>
Do you mean this in a good way or bad? By the time the batteries are completely dead on my DeWalts, they are usually just about worn out anyway so I don't rebuild. I sell them, then catch a sale or recon tool with a warranty.
Robert
I rebuild my own after all it is NOT rocket science. Sad thing is though, if you wait a month or so, you can probably buy a new,complete drill/batts/charger/case for LESS than just one battery.And Nobody wants the old stuff,just the landfill,ugh. Greensville Jay
I might try that. Where do you get the internal batteries??

bob wrote:

Bob,
I had our local batteries plus store rebuild my bosch 14.4 volt battery. They were $15 to $20 less than a new battery. The owner of the store said it will last longer than a new battery because they use better cells. The battery was rebuilt about 8 months ago and still works fine.
AZCRAIG
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Hey, thanks!
I never gave a thought to Batteries plus. There's one 2 miles from my house!
Bob

bob wrote:

couple years ago to the best of my knowledge. I went in once; high prices, poor selection, and nobody shopped them.
Dave
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:44:52 -0600, "bob"

Rebuilding batteries works fine and is fairly easy to do - so long as you buy decent cells that are already tagged. As a dirt-cheap cordless drill typically has a good chuck, a good motor , a useful gearbox and is let down by poor cells and a terrible charger, then rebuilding cheap tool batteries and replacing their charger makes a lot of sense.
For DeWalt and Makita though, the standard cells are usually pretty good. Check the cost of re-cell vs. replace and then it's up to you.
"bob" wrote in message

Most of the DeWalts seem to be worth rebuilding and are generally returned unrecognizable, in both power and depth of charge, from when they were purchased with the tool.
www.primecell.com
IME, well worth checking out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I'm facing the same problem with 2 P-C 14.4s. Pricegrabber said the cheapest new ones were about $55.00 each.
I searched around and found a rebuilder that looks reputable and reasonable -- Voltman Batteries, http://www.voltmanbatteries.com . Their price for rebuilding them was $35.00 each. You pay shipping to them, they pay return shipping.
Bob, the quote for 12V batteries is also $35.00
I'll report back when they're returned.
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:44:52 -0600, "bob"

It's usually not worth the time or trouble to rebuild unless you're using bottom-of-the-barrel replacement parts, and then why bother doing it at all? Most batteries aren't that expensive and they last quite a while, just dispose of the old ones and get new.
"Brian Henderson" wrote in message

That depends. A new DeWalt 18v XRP is in the range of $75 - $85 ... for $48 you can rebuild/upgrade and increase the capacity considerably, and for $72 you can further upgrade the cells for twice the runtime, either option giving you a stronger, longer lasting battery than any new one you can buy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

But you're not figuring in the cost of your time to do it. I don't know about you, but my time is worth at least as much as the raw materials.
Besides, how much do you have to use a battery before it completely fails, especially on a new tool? Most of the time, by the time the batteries are failing, the tool is out of date and you'd probably do better to just buy a new tool.
Brian Henderson wrote:

sorry, Brian but I must disagree about it being time for a new tool when the battery fails. I've got 4 cordless Makitas that are all in perfect shape. I've had 2 batteries die over the past year and just replaced one. 2 tools share that same type battery-18v. The cost of those 4 tools would be well in excess of $600. I'll be buying batteries every now and then as they fail. Now if I had DeWalt cordless tools, I'd be itching to move up to something better. Been there, done that already.
Dave

Well, if you are working the time would be valuable but I only work at most 40 hours a week. The rest of the 128 hours in the week I can spend saving money.

Well I have a Mikita battery that should probably be replaced and it is 12 months old.
Most of the time, by the time the batteries are failing, the tool is out of date and you'd probably do better to just buy a new tool.
This is not software that we are talking about. A tool does not go out of date. If you are an occasional user then I can see perhaps replacing the whole thing.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:12:21 GMT, Brian Henderson

The batteries on my barely 2 year-old Milwaukee drill are already failing. The drill is in barely broken-in condition so the idea of replacing it just because the batteries are failing is quite repugnant. OTOH, the idea of having to replace barely 2 year old batteries is equally frustrating. At least my PC drill went for about 4 years before the batteries died. On that one, replacing the drill made sense because I had shaken plastic pieces out of the drill (it had never been dropped or mistreated) at about 2 years old, so I didn't know how long the drill would last if I replaced the batteries.