batteries - replace or rebuild

sorry, Brian but I must disagree about it being time for a new tool when the battery fails. I've got 4 cordless Makitas that are all in perfect shape. I've had 2 batteries die over the past year and just replaced one. 2 tools share that same type battery-18v. The cost of those 4 tools would be well in excess of $600. I'll be buying batteries every now and then as they fail. Now if I had DeWalt cordless tools, I'd be itching to move up to something better. Been there, done that already.

Dave

Reply to
David

Well, if you are working the time would be valuable but I only work at most

40 hours a week. The rest of the 128 hours in the week I can spend saving money.

Well I have a Mikita battery that should probably be replaced and it is 12 months old.

Most of the time, by the time the batteries are failing, the tool is out of date and you'd probably do better to just buy a new tool.

This is not software that we are talking about. A tool does not go out of date. If you are an occasional user then I can see perhaps replacing the whole thing.

Reply to
Leon

The batteries on my barely 2 year-old Milwaukee drill are already failing. The drill is in barely broken-in condition so the idea of replacing it just because the batteries are failing is quite repugnant. OTOH, the idea of having to replace barely 2 year old batteries is equally frustrating. At least my PC drill went for about 4 years before the batteries died. On that one, replacing the drill made sense because I had shaken plastic pieces out of the drill (it had never been dropped or mistreated) at about 2 years old, so I didn't know how long the drill would last if I replaced the batteries.

Mark & Juanita

The time I spend saving money always increases the bottom line ... if it doesn't, you're not using your head.

Reply to
Swingman