Bassackwards replacement bath vanity (paint grade quickie)

Mission (From 400 miles away): Build a replacement, mirror image, bath vanity ... and build it around pre-existing doors (3) and drawers (4).

(the original (built-in) vanity was damaged, irreparably, by a leak and had to be removed).

Sketchup to the Rescue, once again:

My helper and I used a Bosch Digital Laser Distance Measurer to dimension the _precise_ details of both bathrooms "as built", from floor to ceiling and in between, using SketchUp to do a 3D model, during our initial visit to meet with the client and firm up a deal.

... in short, bringing both bathrooms, exactly as they exist, back to the shop, 400 miles away, where cabinets can be built, and everything necessary to buy/bid floors, vanity tops, sinks, back splashes, tub surrounds, plumbing and electrical fixtures, and collaborate and keep the client informed, via our various digitally connected devices, from the shop.

Ain't technology wonderful, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Let us know how well it fits when it's installed, then I'll answer your question. :-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm willing to take any and all bets that this vanity will slide right in as designed ... show me the color of your money. ;)

Having built at least ten full blown kitchens _before_ the space where they would be installed was even in existence, I've got a bit of practice in building to fit, without regard to both time and distance. :)

AAMOF, I can guarantee that this vanity will fit, with a gap of 1/8" on either side, by design. :)

3D modeling, using laser measurement precision, allows you to do little things like this (build to an existing window), months before the new space exists:

That said, I will admit to having been outfoxed by my house framers on occasion:

I had to rebuild an 'end cabinet run' base cabinet, in a 25'cabinet run, because the framers over sized the kitchen window sink frame and installed the window 2" off center ... making the center of the kitchen sink cabinet (and thus the proposed faucet assmebly) to not line up precisely with the center of the kitchen sink window, something that most would let slide, or not even notice, but I refuse to live with.

But even that 2" too large cabinet got made into lemonade:

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Looking good!

Yes teknology is a wonerful wonerful thang. I used the "whistle" plug in on Sketch up to give my drawers that special whistle. ;~)

No not "my drawers", and not "that" whistle Robert. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I give you a lot of credit for long distance replication. I had to build a replacement bath vanity due to a leaky toilet and ensuing mold. Pulled th e old one out to use as a model in the shop and I swear I was dead on. Had to do a bit of tweaking with the chisel to accommodate a bit of tile that abutted the mold-eroded edge of the old cabinet. Used a few words that are considered impolite in mixed company, but got it in and it passed the brid e's inspection.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Swingman wrote in news:iqCdnef4sbTFjMrMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You are truly remarkable!!

Reply to
Han

Primed and ready for travel ...

Swingman

Hey if you like technology to capture reality, you should buy one of out laser scanners. That's what we do.

In my real life I manage the software for 3D laser scanners that capture the world for reverse engineering and lots o' other stuff.

Skip to about the 40 second mark for a quick intro

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

scanners. That's what we do.

world for reverse engineering and lots o' other stuff.

Cool technology ... watched a documentary on a European cathedral where they used that the other day.

As far as technology that can help me with what I do on a daily basis, and I can afford to own it (IOW, it will pay for itself) I will not hesitate to own it.

When I do my next skyscraper remodel, I will certainly consider investing in that technology. ;)

Until then, my Bosch will have to do.

That said, I envy you your involvement in the industry ... I love cutting edge computer technology, was involved in it myself many years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed the processes.

Thanks for the link ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, one of my favorite data sets we have is from the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Did you shoot that primer? Looking good!

Reply to
Leon

Had to shoot it ... despite my best efforts I'm still not sure which end of a paint brush works best. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I meant to ask, did "you" shoot it. But you did answer my question. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yes, _I_ did "shoot it", with my trusty Earlex 5000 Spray Station.

Reply to
Swingman

Piece of cake ...

Reply to