Bandsaws - Narrow blades and bearing guides ?

I'm using an Axminster 350, fitted with their bolt-on bearing guide set on the upper guide only. It's not a good guide set, it doesn't fit the saw well and I've long abandoned using it on the bottom.
For straight cutting with 1/2" or 3/8" blades this all works well. But I've just destroyed _another_ 1/4" blade owing to a bearing-jump and a bent blade. I should have re-fitted the Cool Block guides, as I'd do for using blades narrower than 1/4".
What is a practical limit on using narrow blades with bearings ? How narrow can you go ? Is this inherent to bearings, or are better guides more flexible than cheap ones ?
--
Smert' spamionam

I don't have much experience with narrow blades and various guide options. However, I just read a review in American Woodworker that spoke directly to this issue that you may find helpful.
http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_Bandsaws.pdf
Lars

Great review! Thanks for the tip