bandsaw/hardwood

I have a large bandsaw (36 inch) and about to rip a reasonably large amount of teak. The carbide tipped saw bands I have seen cut too wide a kerf (1/8") compared to a standard band that produces a 1/16 " kerf . Anyone familiar with a thin, smooth cutting saw band that will stand up to hardwood ?
Regards...Ken

Any hardwood, or teak? Most standard blades stand up well to oak, birch, cherry, maple, etc...
With teak, I'd balance the cost of extra blades to the wider kerf of the carbide blade.
Barry
Try these folks.
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com /

amount
compared

most woodcutting bandsaw blades are fine for hardwoods. ask for a tooth configuration for your application.
I have a lennox carbide blade that has about a 1/16" kerf. it was made for metal, but it cuts hardwood just fine. pricey, though.
ping me on the back channel and I'll send you the name of the guy I got it from- I don't want to publish his email address here without permission.
bridgerb<at>cox<dot>net
Lennox also sells bi-metal blades, which are much less expensive than carbide, but last much longer than carbon steel. You can buy them online at carbide.com.
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in message

check out the wood slicer blade from highland hardware, I just bought a few to slice laminated hardwood to make bracelets, great performance. Price was alot cheaper than a carbide. I believe the kerf is less than 1/16 inch also. jaime

If you can find a local sharpening service that makes up bandsaw blades in house, from bulk, you may be happier.
Your concept of "a reasonably large amount of teak", "too wide a kerf", "thin, smooth cutting saw band" and "stand up to hardwood" are all variables that may take some specific tuning with your local expert. I don't know that I'd want to do such an iterative process remotely, waiting for UPS...
Google a thread from last year on "sharpening service" for some local wRecommendations.
Patriarch

I don't know exactly how big your blades are, but Lenox makes great steel cutting blades, and I can't imagine that they wouldn't hold up almost indefinately when used on wood. Just get something with a larger tooth set (3/4 or 2/3) to make sure that the shavings are pulled out. I've cut massive Oak beams on the saw at work (bumpers for the loading dock) and the cut was nice and smooth, and didn't hurt the blade in any way I could see. It was a real PITA cleaning the saw afterwards, though! A 1.25" wide Lenox RX blade has a .053" kerf, and runs about $50- and it's good enough to last for about 80 continous cutting hours in mild steel; like I said, I can't imagine one *not* lasting forever when using it on wood.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam