Tannewitz GH 36" Bandsaw

Tilting table 35-1/2" X 37" auxillary table, 16-1/2" X19" underneath guide, 7-1/2 ph 3 ph mptor, automatic brake, serial # 6068.

Can this tool's motor be changed for 220 (home shop) usage? I may be able to get this saw for less than $500.

Reply to
Sonny

That saw stands about ten feet tall and weighs a ton and a half or so. Are you _sure_ you want it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for the feedback, John.

My shop can handle a 10' , ton & a half tool. There are 2 of these saws available. There are two Tannewitz RHS 42" Cap. bandsaws available, as well, nearly as cheaply. I do have my own logs milled and, at times, I would like to re-saw some of the timbers I have. I often times think I need a larger bandsaw. I had wondered if these saws could be set up to accommodate my not-so-normal cutting. I suspect these saws may not operate at their best if I remove the 3 phase motor and install a 220 motor, if they are adaptable that way. My shop is for hobby work, ie., at home, not an industrial setting, so I would need to convert the electricals.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The best you could hope for is 5hp on a single phase motor at 220. I suspect that would work fine but are you aware of the blade cost for a 36" saw ???

You could screw around with a rotary phase converter also...

Go over to

and ask around.

I suspect that has already been done(several times) by some of the guys over there....

Tannewitz is deluxe old iron and treasured by many folks.

That's a $7,000 table saw....

Thanks for the feedback, John.

Reply to
Pat Barber

FWIW, there's a 7.5 HP single phase Baldor on ebay right now--draws more than 30 amps IIRC. Leeson also lists single-phase motors with up to 10 horsepower.

How difficult they would be to fit to the Tannewitz I have no idea, but given access to a machine shop and a good stock of scrap just about anything can be cobbled.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"motor be changed for 220"

I've seen a device that converts "household" 220VAC to drive a 3PH motor. As I real, it was some sort of motor itself. The client got rid of it when we got her new shop - cannot recall why.

Suspect the converter might cost you as much as the saw in this case - google "three phase converter"

Reply to
resrfglc

If you really have work of the size to justify this saw, you'll be far better off investing in the rotary phase converter than in a single-phase motor (and probably not a lot of difference in cost.)

Reply to
dpb