Bandsaw followup

I've checked out the 14" Rigid, Powermatic, Delta BS but what do you think of those 2 ? (in Canada)

Junkyard Engineer

Get the Grizzly G0555

Reply to
Bob

Unfortunately, Grizzly is not distributed in Quebec. Furthermore, most of the reseller in the states use Amazon which have a specific restriction upon shipping tools and hardware to Canada.

"Bob" a écrit dans le message de news:

9UxFd.4899$4I2.3789@attbi_s01...
Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

I have had a Jet 14 for a few years and it does everything I want it to. At $549 for the older model it is a great deal. If I had my druthers, though, I'd have the Powermatic at $899. It is very well made and comes with a lot af accessories you would end up buying for a less expensive machine. It is very well made. I could especially use the built-in blower to keep the dust away from the cut so you can see where you are going. This morning I was cuttng through 5.5" of Butternut with a fine 1/8" blade and I couldn't see my very curly line. Wearing dust mask, so couldn't blow dust away. Have a bulb-type thingy (hubby says it is a battery hygrometer) that I use to blow the dust away, but it is awkward. I could use an after-market attachment- anybody know of one?

Reply to
Donna

better to suckup the dust with a collector or shopvac. rig a holder to keep the nozzle in place....

Reply to
bridger

I have the KingIndustrial 14" and I am happy with it, The tension lever is terrible though.... .... sometimes I would like a 17" mostly for the fun of it...

The Canwood you are showing comes with a lot of stuff for a mere $600....that is pretty good I think....

Reply to
Mike

If your into resawing forget about the Canwood - not enough cutting height and blade width is too small. Check out BusyBeeTools.com they are next door in ON.

Reply to
Rebel

The Canwood is very similar to a machine sold in the US as a "Rikon". The Rikon seemed light and cheaply made to me in person. Maybe the Canwood is better, but they sure look the same.

I'm very happy with my Delta X5, once Delta got the parts missing from the box to me. Mine is used for rough ripping, resawing, curves, small cutoffs, and anything that's too dangerous on the table saw. The only after market part on mine are Cool Blocks. My various fences are

90 degree jointed wood parts clamped in place, fine tuned with mallet taps. I'm not crazy about the fence rails sticking out, or futzing with store bought fences.

I've had terrific results with BC Saw and Olsen blades. Ballewtools.com sells Olsen at rock bottom prices. I usually leave a 1/2" 3 TPI blade on the saw and keep 1/4" 6 tpi and 1/8" 9 TPI blades handy. 90% of my cuts are fine with the 1/2" blade.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Oh yes, I forgot about busy bee. Although after looking at it, table is only

14x14 compared to 15"3/4x21"1/2 for the canwood (yes Barry, it looks very similar to Rikon!). I suppose a bigger surface area helps in stability when cutting bigger pieces although it should be quite easy to screw extensions on the others. And prices are low till march... hummmm

"Rebel" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer