Bandsaw blade storage w/o coiling

Page 3 of 3

It has been done. I may even have it on my hard drive at home and if I do I'll post it. It may have been FWW magazine. Sure does look easy when you see it done in front of you. .
On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:51:40 GMT, Pat Barber
Last step reads: "Simultaneously rotate and lower your hand as you hold the top of the blade. By the time your hand makes three-quarters to one full revolution, the blade will have popped into three coils."
Ok, obviously there's something I'm misreading in that description, even with the pictures, because for this rapidly-aging reader, that translates to: "By the time your hand makes three-quarters to one full revolution, you've dislocated your shoulder."
Lee

The trick is in how you first grab the blade - you have to pre-twist your wrist in one direction _before_ you grab it. If you just grab uit straight, then yes you can't get enough twist in.

Never Enough Money wrote:

I kind of liked the separate building comment. <G>
Barry
I wear gloves, step on the blade and twirl. I don't like trying to coil them with only my hands.
Dave
Never Enough Money wrote:

Check out http://www.newwoodworker.com/coilbsblde.html and watch the movie. I've found that this is much easier than the two hand method.
Don
On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:26:02 -0500, Don Wheeler

Ok, *that* looks like I might even be able to do it without hurting myself. (Some of the descriptions here sounded like you needed to be some kind of mutant ninja contortionist.)
Lee
Lee DeRaud wrote:

That's why they say a picture (or a movie) is worth a thousand words.
Can you imagine the fun we'd have trying to explain just how to tie a bow tie?<g>
Coiling is quite easy once you learn how. The put your foot on it method should be avoided as far as I'm concerned.

Why ?
I put my foot on it because that's the body part furthest from my face.
... and try wearing some leather palmed work gloves.
Individual zip-lock bags. :)