Bandsaw blade storage w/o coiling

I know coiling the bandsaw blades is a lot more compact for storage. But I don't want that.

I want to store mine uncoiled.

Does anybody have any clever ways of doing that other than a peg or nail to hang them on? I want a method that prevents the blades from touching each other.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

overhead hooks?

Steal the Jolly Grean Giant's tie rack?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Heh. I wonder why he doesn't want to coil them. Much simpler, neater, less of a space eater. My bandsaw takes 133" blades, which makes quite a loop. And when they're floating about like that, the slightest bump makes them move into each other. Much simpler to coil them. Otherwise, I'd hang pieces of 4" PVC about 6" long horizontally and put no more than three blades on each piece. I think currently I've got 15 or 16 blades, though. Not handy.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Lots of bicycle rims? Pegs seem a kinky way of doing it.

I suppose a few minutes with a circle-cutting jig and some plywood could produce a batch of arcs in 3/4 stock, and a batch in 1/4 to tack as rims. Hope you've got a lot of wall space, and oil those puppies when you take 'em off.

Reply to
George

I'm sorry I don't have a practical suggestion for your storage problem (other than those which have already been offered) but I have to ask: "Why not coil them?"

It's easy to do, makes the blade compact for storage (you can lay them in a drawer, separated by cardboard sheets) and, after all, it's how the manufacturer ships and stores them.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

How about a separate building specifically designed for the propose

Reply to
TaskMule

Ok, ok, ok, lighten up. I'll coil the stupid things. I just got my bandsaw and coiling seems difficult, and it seems like I'd constantly be damaging the teeth.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

No, I understand that. It's really pretty easy to do.

I'll try to recall the exact directions for coiling the blades that I read years ago in a magazine article or maybe a book.

First - Stop at Walgreen's or some tobacco store and buy one package (a lifetime supply) of pipe cleaners. Handy in the shop anyway but they are great to keep the blades coiled in storage - easy on, easy off and reuseable.

Second - Hold the blade out in front of you, uncoiled, with the teeth pointing away from you. You should be grasping it around the middle of the loop.

Third - Twist both hands in opposite directions at the same time. This will cause the blade to coil itself. The coils should be even but if not, just loosen your grip and they will be. Tie off with two pipe cleaners and lay them in a drawer or hang them on a hook.

If my directions are a bit off, just keep trying variations on it in the way you twist the blade, hold it. It works like a charm. One of those things that once you do it, it becomes second nature and you won't even give it a thought.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks, I'll try that this evening. Now I suppose my question has morphed into how to store coiled bandsaw blades. Perhaps, a box with divideders in it. Dividers could be quarter inch hardboard......

Reply to
Never Enough Money

How about just buying extra bandsaws and storing them install on the saw?

Reply to
patrick conroy

That will work. You can make a series of slide outs, you can use vertical dividers like on a desk, you can put them back in the box they came it (at least for a while 'til they get ragged) I hang mine on a screw in the wall. I do coil them, but if it is going right back on, I sometimes don't.

Once you've coiled them a few times it is very easily done. Intimidating the fist two or three times. To release them, I just toss it on the floor away from me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hang them on pegs :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Pat Barber

Interesting. That's not the way I do it though. I was taught a two handed grip and twist. I guess the result is the same. Someone should do a short video clip. It would be worth at least 1000 words.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

... and try wearing some leather palmed work gloves.

Reply to
JuanKnighter

I kind of liked the separate building comment.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

on 5/17/2005 8:09 AM Never Enough Money said the following:

You can do all sorts of fancy things with them but why? The tips given here are, for the most part, from guys who've been doing this for years and you see suggestions like "toss it on the floor to open," "step on the blade with one foot and twist with your hand."

You coil the blade, secure it with the pipe cleaners or anything else you choose or have handy, and lay it in a drawer. Compared to either uncoiling it or re-coiling it according to the magazine article, just laying in the drawer or cabinet carefully is not apt to cause a problem with it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

constantly

Another way (and because I take Coumadin--blood thinner--I prefer to wear gloves when working with blades of any kind): teeth facing out, grip the top with the palm facing up. Place a foot on the lower part of the coil and gently press against the floor. Twist the hand holding the blade and push down gently. I use my left hand and twist to my right. Tie off. I use shorts off #14 wire to tie it off, but pipe cleaners also work well.

Toss on the floor to open, but use caution. I once tossed one and it hung on my thumbnail as it left my hand. That's the primary reason I now wear gloves.

Reply to
Charlie Self

..or maybe fit two blades on one saw? If one held his mouth just right, one could slice see-through veneers and peel potatoes as well? Betcha never thought of that, eh?

Don't you just love a creative moment?

Last time I uncoiled a blade it pinned me against the wall. I'm still there. SWMBO brought me my laptop. Nice of her, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

no, his mug tree... lol

mac