Bandsaw blade storage w/o coiling

Page 1 of 3

I know coiling the bandsaw blades is a lot more compact for storage. But I don't want that.
I want to store mine uncoiled.
Does anybody have any clever ways of doing that other than a peg or nail to hang them on? I want a method that prevents the blades from touching each other.

overhead hooks?
Steal the Jolly Grean Giant's tie rack?
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Heh. I wonder why he doesn't want to coil them. Much simpler, neater, less of a space eater. My bandsaw takes 133" blades, which makes quite a loop. And when they're floating about like that, the slightest bump makes them move into each other. Much simpler to coil them. Otherwise, I'd hang pieces of 4" PVC about 6" long horizontally and put no more than three blades on each piece. I think currently I've got 15 or 16 blades, though. Not handy.

How about just buying extra bandsaws and storing them install on the saw?

..or maybe fit two blades on one saw? If one held his mouth just right, one could slice see-through veneers and peel potatoes as well? Betcha never thought of that, eh?
Don't you just love a creative moment?
Last time I uncoiled a blade it pinned me against the wall. I'm still there. SWMBO brought me my laptop. Nice of her, eh?
Robatoy wrote:

If the blades were installed in opposite directions, the motor had a reversing switch, and the table were double sided, the user could have two instant setups simply by reversing the blade travel direction.
Ralph Engerman's got nuttin' on me!
Barry

You wouldn't have to reverse the direction. Just feed the work from behind. 2 Blades would mess with the turning radius though. But if you added 15 mA of non-lethal current, you could make it work.
Robatoy wrote:

I was thinking "direction" as up and down.
Now you've got me thinking (4) blades! Two up, two down, facing in opposite directions.
Storage problem SOLVED!
Barry

Would it be much of a stretch to weld on a horizontal band-saw, like those metal cutting ones? 2 blades on one of those. Now you have a machine that can turn an entire human into freedom fries.
Robatoy wrote:

Hmmm... Protoplasm tenons...
Robatoy wrote:

Soylent green
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Nope - the Band SawStop would prevent it - at least it would if they could ever release it.

I'm still wondering how they're going to retract the blade.
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe it goes flying off into space like a magician's snake. They could add a sound system with a digitally recorded "BOING" noise, so the user will know where the blade went.

AND IN ANOTHER THREAD YOU WROTE THE FOLLOWING!?!?

Robatoy, some uninitiated neophyte might take your comment and have a very dangerous situation on his hands - or might even lose his hands altogether. You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting such a thing in an unmoderated public forum.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Shame on me!
Fortunately, this forum has many immoderate moderators. Some threads generate a hell of a lot more heat than light.
As the language cop in this thread, I would like to point out the redundancy in the first sentence.
Now I'll post this on the bottom just to piss of _those_ folks.

Fortunately, this forum has many immoderate moderators. Some threads generate a hell of a lot more heat than light.
As the language cop in this thread, I would like to point out the redundancy in the first sentence.
Now I'll post this on top just to piss of _those_ folks.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 04:43:31 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I suppose a few minutes with a circle-cutting jig and some plywood could produce a batch of arcs in 3/4 stock, and a batch in 1/4 to tack as rims. Hope you've got a lot of wall space, and oil those puppies when you take 'em off.
Never Enough Money wrote:

I'm sorry I don't have a practical suggestion for your storage problem (other than those which have already been offered) but I have to ask: "Why not coil them?"
It's easy to do, makes the blade compact for storage (you can lay them in a drawer, separated by cardboard sheets) and, after all, it's how the manufacturer ships and stores them.