Band saws

I'm considering buying a new Bandsaw. I currently have a Delta 14", 1hp with a twelve in. riser block. I'm thinking of the Delta 2hp 18" model 28-682. The other saws that caught my eye are the Laguna LT16 and the LT14SE. I don't know much about Laguna bands. If anybody has any suggestion or comments on these saw or something similar I would appreciate it. The reason I want a higher hp and bigger saw is for resawing.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Uh,,, Dave, do a Google search in this group. You will find LOTS of recommendations for a variety of saws.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

What fun is that?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message news:EhFgg.91033$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

Six months ago I began my quest for a new, larger, no nonsense band saw to replace my old 12" Craftsman. I was specifically looking for a saw that was easier to adjust when changing blades, quieter, and built well enough to resaw wide boards and cut veneers. Around Thanksgiving of 2005 I ordered the popular 18" Rikon band saw and waited until January 31 to take delivery. I kept the saw for 2 weeks and returned it. Buying it sight unseen I made sure that I could return the saw before purchasing. I learned to quickly dislike roller bearings although at the time of purchase I thought it was a good idea. They unfortunately became very noisy from sawdust build up sticking to them and the blade. Tracking was a nightmare. I could not get the blade to stay in one spot, front to back. Regardless of blade tension or upper wheel tilt angle the blade move forward and backward. The top wheel has a LOT of left and right wiggle slop. Rikon indicated that this was normal. Timberwolf said this was not normal. I checked out the 18" Delta to confirm and found that it also had upper wheel left to right wiggle slop. During the wait for the Rikon to arrive, 9 weeks, I ordered a Laguna band saw video from Laguna. This is a very informative video that points out what to look for when purchasing a band saw. Right off the bat they warn of a top wheel that sideways right to left wiggle slop. Ultimately I waited to see the saw at the Houston WW show and also compared it to the MiniMax. I actually made an appointment to see the MiniMax in Austin at the MiniMax store to get a one on one demonstration. Unfortunately their demo saw was missing it's guides. That left a very bad taste in my mouth. The show models also had broken parts. IMHO if you have an older Delta 14" model BS you will probably be trading down if considering the larger and newer Delta or Rikon models. IMHO both the Laguna LT16 and LT14SE saws would be a better choice. With that said, those models are built in Bulgaria while the HD series saws that start out with the LT16HD saw are Italian made by an old manufacturer and are considered to be among the best built saws. I ended up buying the LT16HD over the 2 models you mentioned specifically for because of the lower guides. All of Laguna saws use 10 contact point ceramic guides. No moving parts and very quiet with a good blade. The lower guides on the heavier HD Italian built models have lower guides that are in plane site and are easily adjusted with 1 hex wrench and thumb screws. The lighter weight series that you mentioned literally have the lower guides located between the front and back trunnion. Unfortunately this makes for hard to see and adjust lower guides. Expect to pay a premium for Laguna and especially the HD series of saws, same goes for MiniMax. I am however quite happy with the saw and with ease resawed 11" wide white oak. The LT16HD has a 16" resaw capacity and comes with a 4.5 hp Baldor motor. I also opted for the mobility kit that makes moving the saw around almost effortless.

If you have any questions about the Laguna band saws I'll be glad to give you my opinion.

Reply to
Leon
.

Thanks For the info. I just for the Laguna DVD. I also asked where the LT16 is made.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

The LT16 is made in Bulgaria. The LT16HD is made in Italy. Additionally I suggest you call and talk to Larry Marley to request information vs. using the online request.

Reply to
Leon

Aww, but Leon just mixed up a fresh batch of Laguna Koolaid for everyone!

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

If money is no object, get the Laguna. If money is a concern, I'd have the Rikon and am happy with it. Note that I primarily use the bandsaw for cutting bowl blanks. Sometimes I throw a 1/4 inch blade on it for cutting curves. I have not tried resawing on it, so unfortunatly I can not comment on the main reason you want to buy it.

Reply to
bf